• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

Deere vs. Hustler

matt@mcs

LawnSite Member
I'm trying to compare a hustler super z and a 900 series deere both 60" decks. Has anyone ran the new 900 series and what do you think? Hustler super z?? I know the hustler is cheaper but sometimes you get what you pay for!!! So what is your opinions???

hornett22

LawnSite Senior Member
no experience with Hustler but I know of some old ones still going strong.After a Bad experience with JD years ago ,I will never darken their door again.

Burn me once it's your fault,burn me twice it's my fault.

Thunderhead

LawnSite Senior Member
I have no experience with john deere, but so far I love my Super Z. I bought it new back in August of last year.

wshuntoct

LawnSite Member
Purchased a JD930 recently and am completely surprised by it's performance thus far. Holds hills better than the 800, cuts great and has the MOD and CC package. We will really put it to the test on a school district starting in March........and on. It was. believe it or not, resonably priced. I was convinced by demoing and the improvements that were made over the 800 series.

Thunderhead

LawnSite Senior Member
How does your hustler do in wet conditions? You have the same one I'm looking at!!
The one I demoed (exact same model as the one I have) did extremely well in my opinion. That's one of the deciding factors that made me decide on the Super Z. I put it in some very thick and wet bahaia grass. I had to take my time, but it did very well. This stuff was like 2 to 2 1/2 ft. tall also.

If you have a good Hustler dealer and you like him, I just don't see how you would go wrong with the Super Z.

Thunderhead

MJB

LawnSite Silver Member
Purchased a JD930 recently and am completely surprised by it's performance thus far. Holds hills better than the 800, cuts great and has the MOD and CC package. We will really put it to the test on a school district starting in March........and on. It was. believe it or not, resonably priced. I was convinced by demoing and the improvements that were made over the 800 series.
Have they improved the mod deck at all. In 2008 I demoed one and it cut great but it always left a windrow on the right side. I opened it to side dischrge and it didn't have enough of a high lift blade to spread the clippings otherwise I would of bought it.

rcslawncare

LawnSite Bronze Member
The Deere and the Hustler are both great machines. The 900 is completely different from the 800, after this year the 800 should be in the past, i owned one and thought it was fine, I get my 900 this year since its improved so much. The hustler is a nice machine, fast and cut well. I would go with dealer support, and I know Deere did not take care of some people, but my dealer took care of me. Hustler, not so much. Dealer support is key!

MOHUSTLER

LawnSite Bronze Member
Vote Hustler here, we take trades for alot of deeres here and have many happy customers. They are all upset when they have to buy parts for the deere and it cost them 2X as much as they do for my hustlers.

Equipguy

LawnSite Senior Member
Have been running Hustler since 2001 and have had great results with the machines. Good resale value when they get old too. You can't go wrong with Hustler. Deere makes good products but they always cost more and that doesn't always mean better quality.:)