Deere Z740R, Scag Patriot, or Tiger Cat 2

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by snoprosledneck88, Jun 13, 2019.

1. snoprosledneck88

snoprosledneck88 LawnSite Member

So I have a new dilemma, I mow about 4 acres of my own lawn and an additional 3 or so of my neighbors from time to time. I was really set on a Scag Patriot 61" until i stopped in a local deal who sells both Scag and John Deere. I was able to test drive both and spend a lot of time looking each unit over. Now i'm kind of leaning towards the Deere. Both units would be 60"/61", both have the Kawasaki Fx730, zt3400 hydros, suspension seats, and seem to be well built. The Deere how ever looks beefier than the scag and has the Pro HC deck, which form what i'm told is the same as the 7 iron deck but with a little lighter steel. (is this correct?) The Deere also has spindles that you can grease vs the scag having sealed spindles.

So based on some of the items listed above, which don't really cover all the areas the Deere "Seemed" better comes the price. The Deere is about $8,800 vs the scag at $7,800 or so. I have also considered the Scag Tiger Cat 2 which can be had for about the same price as the Deere with the New Kawasaki FT motor that is EFI. I'm not sure how the new Kawasaki FT motor would compare to the FX motor. From what I gather the FT motor is no a full blown "commercial" motor but it's also not a residential motor either.

I think it goes without saying that the Scag Tiger Cat 2 is a heavier built machine than both the Z740R and the Patriot. Better spindles, better deck, better frame, Etc... Would you guys get the TC2 with the new EFI Kawasaki or stick to the one of the other "lighter" mowers with the better engine. I'm not worried if a motor will last 2,000 hours because I doubt I will put that amount on it while I own it.

Any feedback would be great and I would love to hear some feedback on the New FT motor. Thank you everyone for your help.

2. CGros31

CGros31 LawnSite Senior Member

All are good mowers, but I must say the 740r looks like a great mower. That being said, for probably less than $8,800 you can get the z915e which is a full on commercial unit with the 7 iron deck. With all of those listed you won’t make a wrong choice.

3. OP
    OP
    snoprosledneck88

I looked at the 915 but by the time you add a 60” deck and a suspension seat it’s over $9,800.

4. tech5201

tech5201 LawnSite Member
    from EC NE

I think that 740R is an interesting machine.
    Like a small-frame 920M with the HC Pro (cause it's green) (9-Iron) deck, low & centered fuel tank for good COG, good hydros. and the best seat.
    At 1k lbs. it should be a good ride.

If your Deere dealer is close, & you like 'em, I'd choose the 740R.
    If your Scag dealer is close & you like 'em, go with the TCII.
    If they're both close, the best service dept. would sway my vote.

5. tech5201

tech5201 LawnSite Member
    from EC NE

My edit time ran out.

Scag also offers the FX730 on the TCII if you prefer a simple carbed engine vs. the FT EFI.

6. CGros31

CGros31 LawnSite Senior Member

Not sure what part of the country you’re in but where I’m at you could get a 930m with 60 inch and suspension seat for the price, or less.

7. Mshawn

Mshawn LawnSite Member

Yeah Im in Arkansas an I payed 8377.00 for 930m it has the commercial kawi fx801v man it's awesome. Join farm bureau for about 30.00 buck and carry that card in there with you, this should give you a better discount mine was a 54 inch with delux seat but hell you can't beat the price it's an awesome machine but the scags is to. By the way I like the deluxe seat

8. OP
    OP
    snoprosledneck88

Definitely would love the tc2 with the Fx730 but that engine drives up the cost quite a bit. Moves the mower over $10k. As for the dealers they are at the same location. They sell Deere and Scag under the same roof.

9. OP
    OP
    snoprosledneck88

I’m from Wisconsin. I see the z740r online has a MSRP of $8,400 and they quoted me $8,700 so there should be some room to play with that.

10. Mshawn

Mshawn LawnSite Member

Wow the z930m was like 11500 msrp I paid way less than that. Yeah I'd say there is a lot of room to play.