1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

Dismiss Notice

Defend or Defender and Dimension

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by WIgolfsuper, Oct 11, 2017.

1. WIgolfsuper

WIgolfsuper LawnSite Member

Hello everyone. New to the site. I've been in the green industry for 20 years, 19 as a superintendent and the last year working for a great landscape company. Enough about me.

Location: Northern WI. Spring app starts about April 1 depending on the weather of course.

My question is: I am thinking of using Defender in my Rd 1. We run Prodiamine as our CG preventor currently and I was looking to make the switch to Defendor. I am a little concerned about how effective the dimension would be vs the Barricade (prodiamine)
    The savings when you get both Defendor and Dimension is so much, 40% on the Defendor, that I can't over look it. I don't like Dimension because of how fast it breaks down in soil. It starts working day 1 where the barricade will wait till the soil temps reach 55 before it starts to work. Because we go out so early due to how large are pool of Rd 1 customers is that the Dimension might be 3/4 gone by the time CG starts to germinate. I have considered split Dimension apps but that brings up it's own scheduling issues. Just looking to see how other people are using this product. With Dimension or without and the results they have seen. Thanks for reading. Sorry it was so long.

2. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
    WIgolfsuper likes this.
  3. AGRinATX

AGRinATX LawnSite Member

I like Dimension because of its post efficacy as well, and our growing season is so long we have to do a split app anyway.

4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Why Dimension vs Simazine.........isn't Dimension pricey per acre

5. countryclublawnllc

countryclublawnllc LawnSite Member

Defendor won't eliminate overwintered, larger sized weeds, but properly timed (early) it works incredibly well. You don't have to buy them packaged together anymore, that ended after a couple years. I have used it in combination with generic dithiopyr for four years now and the results have been spectacular, every year! I just use an auxiliary tank with with a three way or similar to spot the larger weeds as I go. Normally, south facing slopes or along structures will have the most. The defendor will kill the mature dandelion but it is too slow to prevent the pretty flower from popping. I am sure it will work fine with prodiamine also, as getting it down early enough is the key. If flowers are popping everywhere it's too late.

John

6. AGRinATX

AGRinATX LawnSite Member

It is more expensive but it’s easier on hybrid bermudagrass and has a lower use rate, plus I like the post activity on crabgrass.

7. RigglePLC

I am a bit skeptical on post-emergent activity on crabgrass. I could not see any difference on my small plots. 4 pounds and 8 pounds of a Lesco product.
    Hopefully I can test for dithiopyr effect on crabgrass again, in the future. Or lack of effect.
    It is difficult to grow crabgrass inside (at least at my house.) Crab prefers strong sun and hot conditions.

mowerguy4 likes this.
  8. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Fanatic
    from zone 6

I like the Dimension on a split app fert combo. Lets me not spike the N for first app and picks up goosegrass on the second.

9. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

A long time ago, I figured out that a Dimension application applied as a postemergent application would substantially suppress Crab. In all warm season grasses. But not as granules or coated on fertilizer. Label rate applied in 1 gallon per 1000 sq ft with fan nozzles and a surfactant.

AGRinATX likes this.
  10. RigglePLC

So you are saying that granule Dimension does not have post emergent activity?

I think you are right.

So others out there should not be influenced by the salesman when he says you should pay more for Dimension--because it kills crabgrass post-emergent.

I would like to see a side by side test of Dimension as a post emergent.