1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Define Commercial Lawn Care

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by PCLL, Mar 9, 2004.

1. PCLL

PCLL LawnSite Member
    from Alabama

How many of you are strictly commercial? How many consider yourself high-end residential?

2. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

i wouldnt consider my residentials high end. i dont do any commercials. i guess i should classify myself as "residential"

3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

90% of my business is mostly large residential (1 - 15 acres). We also do a couple of polo fields too every 5 days that are 11 acres each....not a bunch of commercial though.

4. CNYScapes

CNYScapes LawnSite Senior Member

75% residential -25% commercial

But I will pretty much work for anyone with greenbacks

5. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

We are 95% commercial. They range in size from 5000 sq. ft. to 7 acres. I only do about 15 res. We do not advertise at all.

6. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

Upper middle-class residentials for me . Dropped my two high-end residentials. They couldn't be convinced that full service was the way to go. As a result, their lawns progressively looked worse and worse. I just couldn't stand doing these lawns anymore. Felt it was a reflection on my work, which it was not. It may have been a reflection on my sales ability though.

7. SUPERIOR Lawn Design

SUPERIOR Lawn Design LawnSite Member

90% middle / upper middle class residential and 10% commercial... I want to increase my commercial props though...

8. dreisman

dreisman LawnSite Member

65% commercial 35% residential. Commercial is the way to go. They want contracts. It guarentees you payment for 8 months. Residentials bulk at contracts, at least mine do. Also less complaints

9. SherrillsfordLS

SherrillsfordLS LawnSite Member

60% commercial and 40% residential. I rather do high-end residential. To much competition bidding for the commerical jobs and the high-end residential customers will be more loyal to you for fair pricing and good work.

10. Five Star Lawn Care LLC

Five Star Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Bronze Member

we do about 65 residental homes and about 20 commercial accounts.

but when i acctually look at what each division makes as far a sales the percentages are as follows 80% commercial - 20% residental.

one of those commercial jobs made up 18% of our sales for 2003