Delivery trucks may have damaged house

Mitty87

LawnSite Silver Member
So, story is, little $5k job, couple pallets of Allan block. Needed to remove a couple tonnes of dirt.

the bin was delivered Monday, the client emailed this picture telling me it had arrived, so he was there and must have seen most of the actual drop off, then we had a forklift truck from Home Depot deliver 3 pallets with block and caps in front of the bin later that day.

Now 2 days later the home owners are upset and say someone hit the house. They said it was just painted recently.
I have not contacted the two delivery companies at all yet. We only have something in a contract stating we need to use deliveries and any damage to landscaping and hardscaping is not our problem

I am just wondering what people think is the right thing to do, the best way to handle this. I don’t want to piss off my suppliers (whatever for Home Depot, only use them for plain grey block). It’s probably a few hundred in labour to replace two siding boards, if they can be located.

I have a feeling I won’t be able to get a resolution from the two other companies and will be asked to take care of it. I just don’t know the proper way to handle it considering they wouldn’t be able to prove if/who caused damage and if it was already there. We will be blamed for it either way.

I’m thinking tomorrow I can get a measurement of the height where contact was made and find out if it matches up with their tarp kit.

in the picture you can see the damage was up on the bottom of the second story, most likely the bin truck if anyone

AF749668-B47A-4936-979A-E3BEDDB33C6F.png712A9836-F77F-4BF6-99D5-B901E5A2DA98.jpeg

Brucey

LawnSite Silver Member
This exclusion is understandable:

"We only have something in a contract stating we need to use deliveries and any damage to landscaping and hardscaping is not our problem"

However that doesn't seem to cover damage to the house itself.

OP
M

Mitty87

LawnSite Silver Member
It doesn’t cover damage to the actual home as that would generally be negligence and assumed to be covered by whichever company does the delivery. I am going to have to find out if I can pass liability completely in a contract and have it so the homeowner had to take it up with the 3rd party directly. It’s too small for insurance and will be a huge amount of hassle considering labour shortages, trying to find someone to fix it.

That clause I have is supposed to make it clear that the only way to get the job done is using heavy trucks and equipment and if are going to take liability, it does say on our estimate that we can try to avoid use of driveway/whatever access we need, but there will be significant extra labour costs

Only problem is now 2 companies have been in that same spot and there isn’t proof of when it was or what exactly may have caused it, employees likely won’t admit it either.

Last edited:

TPendagast

LawnSite Fanatic
So, story is, little $5k job, couple pallets of Allan block. Needed to remove a couple tonnes of dirt.

the bin was delivered Monday, the client emailed this picture telling me it had arrived, so he was there and must have seen most of the actual drop off, then we had a forklift truck from Home Depot deliver 3 pallets with block and caps in front of the bin later that day.

Now 2 days later the home owners are upset and say someone hit the house. They said it was just painted recently.
I have not contacted the two delivery companies at all yet. We only have something in a contract stating we need to use deliveries and any damage to landscaping and hardscaping is not our problem

I am just wondering what people think is the right thing to do, the best way to handle this. I don’t want to piss off my suppliers (whatever for Home Depot, only use them for plain grey block). It’s probably a few hundred in labour to replace two siding boards, if they can be located.

I have a feeling I won’t be able to get a resolution from the two other companies and will be asked to take care of it. I just don’t know the proper way to handle it considering they wouldn’t be able to prove if/who caused damage and if it was already there. We will be blamed for it either way.

I’m thinking tomorrow I can get a measurement of the height where contact was made and find out if it matches up with their tarp kit.

in the picture you can see the damage was up on the bottom of the second story, most likely the bin truck if anyone

View attachment 456404View attachment 456405
Help me out
How did that dumpster do that damage that high up?

TPendagast

LawnSite Fanatic
It doesn’t cover damage to the actual home as that would generally be negligence and assumed to be covered by whichever company does the delivery. I am going to have to find out if I can pass liability completely in a contract and have it so the homeowner had to take it up with the 3rd party directly. It’s too small for insurance and will be a huge amount of hassle considering labour shortages, trying to find someone to fix it.

That clause I have is supposed to make it clear that the only way to get the job done is using heavy trucks and equipment and if are going to take liability, it does say on our estimate that we can try to avoid use of driveway/whatever access we need, but there will be significant extra labour costs

Only problem is now 2 companies have been in that same spot and there isn’t proof of when it was or what exactly may have caused it, employees likely won’t admit it either.
How do you know it wasn’t like that before the deliveries occurred?

need better pics
How did what got delivered damage anything that high?

Toro44

LawnSite Senior Member
Pretty easy to match up once the dumpster is on the truck. The spot where it’s cracked is where it was hit. Lucky that’s all the damage that occurred.

OP
M

Mitty87

LawnSite Silver Member
I haven't actually been out to see it yet, there was just a guy working there, he seems to think it looks like damage was on something from the way out, these trucks have the tarp bar that sticks out a bit and is above the top of the truck. It's possible it could be from unloading the bin.

The homeowner said the driver had a really hard time getting into the spot to unload the bin, just the way the driveway turns I guess it's tight.

TPendagast

LawnSite Fanatic
The best outcome I see to this is dumpster company admits to damage and you get the dumpster for free and now you get to fix the damages
What does a dumpster cost?
$400?
Bet you the damage to the house to repair is more than a dumpster

make the company pay for the repairs
You pay for the dumpster

if you were subbing for someone else would you get to just say “oh umm you get the lawn cut for free today but the damage I did you get to deal with?”

he should damaged it , deals with it
IMO

Top Forums