Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just a few pics to show you from yesterday's demo of the new John Deere 997. This machine is awesome, nicest thing to drive, handles great, ultra smooth transmission, no hydo squealing, if it had a deck that was good I'd buy it no second thought.

I'm actually needing rear discharge but think maybe a good deck simply isn't built yet, so am even considering trading my toro Z588E on the new Deere diesel. I'm not gaining anything except a new mower, but....

What are the 60'' 7 iron side discharge decks like compared to toro's turbo force, hustler etc? My work is as you see in the pics, parks and rougher areas, no manicured lawns, so needs to process a lot of clippings and disperse evenly....

1st pic is the under side of the deck model I had, 60'' rear discharge....

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Green Automotive exterior Rim

·
Registered
743 Posts
Too much clumping on the deere. :)

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
That is NOT a good cut! WOW! The wrapper on the seat is a nice touch too!

·
Registered
83 Posts
that looks like you got a soaking on that pasture hay. don't look like grass anyway; mosy everything would have clumped it up. how wet was it?

·
Registered
83 Posts
tony did you run the TORO in that to see if it would throw the grass out better? everyone tells me that the TORO does great in that type grass when you side discharge

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, I'm going to demo the rear discharge Hustler next week hopefully.
Same areas....

Yes, grass was damp....

those pics show my scope of work I do here, no manicured lawns like you guys....they want this overgrown muck looking neat....

The J.D has the power to make this good, the deck simply wind rowed, it didn't 'fan' the clippings into an even dispersal mat as reps tell me they would.

Because on the real long stuff the cut was poor, but ok to double cut it didn't phase me, then went to the vacant block where you really see the windrows, ho hum....rough cut, rough job, but was fast, so now the big test, quality of cut on bermuda at a park I do....well, you see the results.

Now, this wasn't long, no more than 2'' of leaf to cut off, my toro raced over it and no clumps, the j.d just couldn't get it right.

My toro works hard, cuts those jobs daily, no probs, only that long stuff I double cut because the toro deck misses the stalks a lot, but with houses going up around my vacant blocks spraying the grass is tricky...

Yes my toro would of been bustin it's but on the long grass jobs due to dampness, but having to go over where you have discharged which you do is harder on the machine, grass going in, grass exiting out the deck's rear, makes sense, no wasted double cutting, no spraying crap everywhere, safer, all it has to do is lay the clippings out in a nice even mat behind the deck, why someone can't figure this amazes me, side discharge is bloody old stuff, need rear discharge, trim both sides etc....

that's why I wanted to check rear discharge....

also, as I'm working for developers, and council, they are phasing out side discharge because of claims and prefer I too found a rear discharge mower.

The j.d is very nimble, top notch stuff, the hustler as I had been on one already is very bulky in comparison, no where near as smooth, from the seat to the rear is longer making guaging length harder in tight areas.

The hustler 'looks' much bigger, it is just cosmetics though, but if it looks big to me, then it will look like a tractor to the client and could go against me on ressie jobs.

But if it cuts nice then that's what it is all about!

But, if the j.d cut the bermuda on the park well, I would of wrote the check.

It cut the easy stuff worse than I could of ever imagined, and j.d call this a 'finish' mower lol. How it cut the long stuff was just playing around, it is how it 'finish' mowed that decided....

And yes, over here we do this work with ride on mowers, and tractors, but we charge well for mowing long stuff as people are not liking tractors leaving big windrows, so the initial cut is as in the pics then maintained every 6 weeks.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
:) Your comparing apples to oranges. Rear discharge will not cut near as good as a side discharge let alone overgrown and wet. Put a 72" side discharge deck on that 997 and it will smoke that Toro. :)

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
How will putting a 72'' RD deck on the J.D smoke my Toro?

The 60'' R.D deck on the J.D can't even neatly cut bermuda....

Who cares about the rough, can't expect it to turn it into a bowling green, that's why I was mainly concerned with the park cut quality.

A 72'' would be no good, too many tight areas, just too big....we don't get big flat open areas.

The 60'' on the J.D was making it work, believe it!

I know the dampness doesn't help, but the toro can do it clump free, only the occasional turf-turds lol.

And as for RD decks not cutting as neat as side discharge.....I took the demo because John Deere told me many contractors are going over to these RD decks because they cut better in a wider range of works, finish is as good as side discharge. They are wrong.

Adding to that.....you haven't see the pics of the Hustler RD deck have you?

Wanna see a pic/s of a 27hp rear deck Hustler doing work faster and neater than the big diesel J.D?

Just say so, got several here!

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Tonyr said:
How will putting a 72'' RD deck on the J.D smoke my Toro?

The 60'' R.D deck on the J.D can't even neatly cut bermuda....

Who cares about the rough, can't expect it to turn it into a bowling green, that's why I was mainly concerned with the park cut quality.

A 72'' would be no good, too many tight areas, just too big....we don't get big flat open areas.

The 60'' on the J.D was making it work, believe it!

I know the dampness doesn't help, but the toro can do it clump free, only the occasional turf-turds lol.

And as for RD decks not cutting as neat as side discharge.....I took the demo because John Deere told me many contractors are going over to these RD decks because they cut better in a wider range of works, finish is as good as side discharge. They are wrong.

Adding to that.....you haven't see the pics of the Hustler RD deck have you?

Wanna see a pic/s of a 27hp rear deck Hustler doing work faster and neater than the big diesel J.D?

Just say so, got several here!
The 7 Iron decks cut much better than the rear discharge decks. Put the 7 Iron deck on there and you'll have clump free like the Toro but better.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Mickhippy said:
Do it Tony, just blot out any faces!

I think DLCS was talking about a 72" SD deck mate not RD. :waving:
Yes, I was talking about the side discharge. :waving:

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
sorry, got that mucked up!

hey Mick, dealer just told me his 28k j.d would need a change over of 20k to trade my 18 moth old 28hp efi toro lol.....dreaming!

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
So he'll ony give you $8k. Thats rediculas! At least $10k. Should try selling it privately.

Tell him he has a deal if you get $10k for it. Ask how badly do they want to sell it to you.
Thats sux dont it!

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
a couple of hustler 27hp petrol, 60'', rear discharge pics ...

See the difference in clipping placement from the Hustler compared to the J.d?

P.J posted some good ones somewhere recently, do a search if ya want to see them, they are from your grass types in the USA.

Plant Sky Tree Natural landscape People in nature

Plant Sky People in nature Tree Dress

Plant Tractor Wheel Sky Vehicle

Wheel Tire Plant Sky Vehicle

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Mick, I had my Toro evaluated at Russells place....12k min, from there it depended on how good of a haggler I was on their top price lol.
this guy here was $1500 dealer than brisbane too!

does not seem interested in working with me to get me going with a side discharge deck, so I contacted the guy from the show, and sent him pics as he says what great finish decks these are.

j.d are showing me that they are no better than toro....it is all about luck with who ya dealer is, ya know I can't get a demo from brisbane here because of this local guy.....

a bit like iseki now...I can't demo. so I can't buy....that ain't smart business!

I'm suddenly liking hustler lol.....instead of bad dealers, they have hardly any lol! Wish hustler had something nice like the j.d, I like the deck adjust dial!
I think the pin in rail way of hustler is very primitive, for the money, and being 2005 now.lol.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.