Demo Review on Ditch Witch SK800 vs Vermeer S925TX

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by brichter14, Oct 28, 2017.

1. brichter14

brichter14 LawnSite Senior Member

Hey guys, I am currently shopping for a new mini skid for my landscape company. We currently have a Boxer 427 but it lacks in lifting capacity for what we are doing.

This weekend I had a DW SK800 (the old SK752) delivered as well as a Vermeer S925TX. I took both machines out to do some work and made a video review of the two machines.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

If you are not interested in watching a video here are some notes.

Both machines are obviously great machines. I really like both and each had their positives and negatives.

As far as ground speed goes the SK800 wins. It was a bit faster in forward and in reverse.
    Speed of loader arms and bucket tilt the SK800 wins
    Responsiveness of controls goes to the SK800. I could barely move the joystick and the machine would move, there was a bit of a delay with the vermeer.
    Access to filters for regular maintenance the DW wins
    Use of attachment hydraulics goes to DW. I love the foot detent pedal.
    Undercarriage goes to Ditch Witch. I like grease-able pressure and the open design.
    Engine - both had 25 horse kubota's but the DW didnt bog down much at all. I killed the Vermeer twice driving into a pile of dirt quickly.
    DW didnt have a platform lockout which I like better. Sometimes I like to move the machine without standing on it.

Comfort goes to the Vermeer, the platform held you in place and felt secure
    Greaseable joints is ideal for me over the urethane bushings of the DW
    Quick attach to attachments worked a lot better. The ditch witch kept missing the holes (see video)
    Dual hydraulics - i really like the low flow to use for my backhoe attachment.
    Dump angle goes to Vermeer - i had to wiggle the bucket a lot on the DW to dump a bucket of dirt.
    The vermeer has metal sides that protect the engine, I really like this.
    LIFT CAPACITY - vermeer wins. I picked up 1600 LBS to 4 feet and could move it forward and back. No joke, pallet half full of pavers. The DW didnt have the weight kit so that might make a difference here.

After its all said and done I love both machines. Both dealers seem great (DW Springfield IL and Vermeer Midwest). I will probably buy the machine that has the best price. Let me know what you think and if you have any specific questions!

oqueoque likes this.
  2. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Fanatic

It's funny you stalled that machine, I did the same thing at GIE. To be fair the bucket was full and pushing over the top. Maybe it speaks to have much traction is available compared to the DW.

3. brichter14

I wonder what causes it to stall out cuz the dw has the same engine

4. AWilsonCreativeServices

AWilsonCreativeServices LawnSite Member

Thanks for posting such a thorough, unbiased, and insightful video review. You covered most every topic that folks will want to know about. I'm sure with a week's worth of use, any operator might come to a more decisive conclusion as to which machine they prefer, but you did a great job with what you had available. I'd be interested to know if the DW with the added weight kit would be a lot closer to the Vermeer in the lifting department. I myself am interested in the new Dingo, but may also look at these two machines too after seeing your video.

5. oqueoque

oqueoque LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Jersey

Great. Thanks.

6. knox gsl

I've got a friend who is a dealer for the dingo stuff. I mentioned being interested in one and he told me to go to DW if that helps any.

oqueoque likes this.
  7. Bigred350

Bigred350 LawnSite Senior Member

I see you got the single stick control for the DW. I’m also in the market for a sk800 and currently have a boxer right now.

I like the single stick. My dealer says they have never sold a single stick.

What’s your thoughts on it?

8. brichter14

I ran the dual stick at gie. The single stick is more user friendly. Both are fine but I prefer the single stick.

9. knox gsl

The rental machines I've been using had twin stick for the tracks and a joy stick for the boom/bucket. At the GIE show they had the dual joy sticks. I like that better although I'll need some practice with that set-up.

10. brichter14

Something I just realized between the two machines. The platform on the ditch witch is big enough to get 3 guys on it. So adding the weight kit will make it even with the Vermeer but having the ability to add two more people as counter weight should really help lifting capacity.