Demo Review on Ditch Witch SK800 vs Vermeer S925TX

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by brichter14, Oct 28, 2017.

1. brichter14

brichter14 LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah but when you throw it in on financing it’s peanuts. I think it was 700 bucks

2. rckymtnlandscape

rckymtnlandscape LawnSite Member

Fair enough, I guess I was looking at buying it after the fact not with the initial purchase.

3. Brian Leslie

Brian Leslie LawnSite Member

Greaseable joints is ideal for me over the urethane bushings of the DW
    Quick attach to attachments worked a lot better. The ditch witch kept missing the holes

Hey. Great informative video. I like both these machines. Leaning towards the Vermeer though. I am curious, did you ever find out the down time needed & cost associated with changing out the urethane bushings on the Ditch Witch. Seems like an unnecessary expense and effort to do every 300 hours, if that's the interval.

4. rckymtnlandscape

Curious where the 300 hour bushing change was found, my manual says nothing about it and when I called DW, they said no major maintenance needed outside of the manual.

Only time I’ve had an issue with attaching implements is when the attach plate is covered in frozen mud or ice, but I think you’ll have that with any machine..

ious

5. brichter14

I think I read that on here somewhere, must be wrong! Thats fine by me. The guys in the comments said they have 3000 hours on a set of bushings...

6. Bigred350

Bigred350 LawnSite Senior Member

How’s the new machine working out for you?

7. brichter14

I haven’t used it much to be honest. I have 14 hours on it right now. I used it to put a new flatbed on my f550 and it lifted a 1200 lb flatbed pretty easy but we will put some use on it come spring.

8. hllc

hllc LawnSite Member

How's the DW? We bought a 925 around the end of this post and now have 200 hrs on it this summer. Held up well so far. The extra lift has canc in handy
    . We are adding a 3rd and thinking about ditch witch just to add to the Vermeer and Bobcat as neither is perfect.

9. rckymtnlandscape

I have 320 hours on my DW 725. I like the 36” width because I’ve been able to fit it in some tight spaces, currently doing a irrigation/hardscape job along a cliff above the river... one of the corners scares me a bit any bigger machine and we’d be swimming.

As much as I love the 725 I really want to upgrade to a more powerful unit. The 725 does most of what I ask it to but moving pallets of stone doesn’t work as well as I’d like it too.

I know I have said this before in this thread but the controls on the DW machines are much more user friendly than Bobcat controls, the Dingo controls are the worst in my opinion.

I have never tested a Vermeer, I have heard good things but I don’t necessarily like how the operator is somewhat enclosed when standing on the platform. Hate to admit it but after a 70 hr work week I was not paying attention to my bucket height and I tipped my DW over because I was perpendicular to the slope. As soon as I felt it go all I had to do was step back and watch it fall. The Vermeer platform might make it harder to bail in a situation like that.

10. brichter14

I’ve got 105 hours on my sk800 now. No problems at all. I have been using the backho attachment from eterra a lot. Dug a 40’ retaining wall base with it no problem. They are money makers that’s for sure.