Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As the title says, I’m getting ready to demo a scag v ride. Obviously, getting my hands on it will answer a lot of my questions, but I want an idea of what I’m getting myself into before I take it home for a day.

so I live in WV. For those not familiar, it ain’t flat. I’ve attached pics of a few of my yards for help. I also don’t mow 2 directions. I mow4,5,6 directions. I don’t like rutting out yards and I like changing patterns.

so, how do they handle hills? Up and down? Side to side? Diagonals? I’d be looking to buy(and demoing) a 52”. Is there anything I should know? I currently only own walk behinds. I have a 52(which this would be replacing) and a 36. My thought is the added speed, and fact it isn’t like 8 years old, will increase my production. But if it can’t hold hills, it’s just an $11k waste of space.
Plant Green Natural environment Tree Natural landscape

Cloud Sky Plant People in nature Tree

Plant Land lot Grass Outdoor furniture Biome

Sky Plant Natural landscape Leaf Natural environment

Sky Plant Natural landscape Building Land lot

·
Registered
2,649 Posts

·
Registered
2,649 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A VRII will have no problem on that stuff. The beauty about the standers is that you can shift your body weight uphill to help get maximum traction.
awesome. I certainly have steeper stuff too. But it’s just small sections of a yard here or there. Which I could do with my 36” WB if needed. Those pics are a pretty fair overview of my average entire yards

·
Registered
951 Posts
awesome. I certainly have steeper stuff too. But it’s just small sections of a yard here or there. Which I could do with my 36” WB if needed. Those pics are a pretty fair overview of my average entire yards
Keep in mind, it's never a good idea to go straight down a slope on a hydro unit. They don't stop well and tend to slide. You're definitely better on an angle. Some change out the factory tires for better grip.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Keep in mind, it's never a good idea to go straight down a slope on a hydro unit. They don't stop well and tend to slide. You're definitely better on an angle. Some change out the factory tires for better grip.
Yeah I only do that on the less steep stuff. Prefer angles or across. I have one guy that requests I mow 4 different directions so don’t have a lot of option for him.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
There will be a learning curve for sure. Uphill will be easier than down for a while. Diagonals downwards may prove to be challenging for a bit too. Your lines won't be perfect in some directions but it won't take long. Everyone is different I suspect. Like D said, shifting your weight adds a lot to your experience.

Some have complained about traction with the 61 (no idea what it's like with a 52 vii) but on my 61vii I rarely try to move the machine with just one wheel spinning - always two (a person could really whip a cheetah around with one stick for example - I can't really do that on a v-ride 2)

Report back how it goes !!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
There will be a learning curve for sure. Uphill will be easier than down for a while. Diagonals downwards may prove to be challenging for a bit too. Your lines won't be perfect in some directions but it won't take long. Everyone is different I suspect. Like D said, shifting your weight adds a lot to your experience.

Some have complained about traction with the 61 (no idea what it's like with a 52 vii) but on my 61vii I rarely try to move the machine with just one wheel spinning - always two (a person could really whip a cheetah around with one stick for example - I can't really do that on a v-ride 2)

Report back how it goes !!
Thanks! Sounds like it might work out after all. Looking at my schedule, I hope to test it out next Wednesday. I’ll report back on my confidence in it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts