1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Demolition...????

Discussion in 'Tractors' started by Rollacosta, Jan 27, 2005.

1. Rollacosta

Rollacosta LawnSite Senior Member

Do any of you guy's use a tractor and trailer for small or large scale demolition work ???..with work a little slow here and me needing a tractor for site clearance work [tree service/lot clearing] i was just wondering if any of you diversified into demolition work,i don't want a tractor and dump trailer [major investment] sitting around idle waiting for the next lot clearance job..obviously i would need a front loader ,i'm personally only thinking small scale demolition due to my lack of experience.

2. 430 boy

430 boy LawnSite Member

what model tractor do you have on mind. be careful of pointy stumps. they may result on a lot of flat tire :cool2:

3. Rollacosta

i'm looking for a 100HP + JD,NEW HOLLAND ,CASE ,MASSEY FERGUSON, JCB etc with 15ton+ dump trailer

4. 430 boy

430 boy LawnSite Member

get yourself a jd 4455 w/265 loader and tow behind box scraper and or a dump box. which is 150hp. you should be able level some stuff. :cool:

5. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm not sure you'll be able to find a dump trailer that size... As soon as I say that, you will.:)

However, you'd probably be just as well off finding a 10 ton flatbed trailer (plenty large enough to carry a tractor that size), and a large dump truck. The truck is much more maneuverable than a trailer would be, and the investment would probably be roughly the same as getting a large dump trailer that big.

Put some sort of sealant in the tractor tires to help eliminate flats. There's a few really good ones on the market right now that seal instantly. I've heard of some with over 1000 punctures (intentionally) and it still holds pressure like it was new.

For the price of a new tractor of the size you are talking, you might want to consider a tracked skidsteer. Much more versatile than a tractor, and probably about the same price.

HTH.

Dan

6. jd270

jd270 LawnSite Member

a new tractor of that size you could have 2 or 3 skids

7. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

For a new 100+ hp tractor you are looking at $70,000 and up. Depends if you get a cab or open station, 2 or 4 wheel drive and a loader or not. Loader and 4-wd cost about $10,000 just for those two things.

8. Rollacosta

Dan dump trailers arent a problem to get www.chieftaintrailers.com ,the reason for me buying a tractor and dump trailer is so i won't need a dump truck ,operating a dump truck overhere over 7.5 ton gross involves a lot of beurocracy ,and a HEAVEY GOODS VEHICLE LICENCE [think you call it a CDL] plus we need an operators licence[lot's of restrictions etc] but with high speed tractor there are no restrictions or CDL or operators licence ,overhere you can buy the biggest tractor and use it with no limitations on a car licence[other than you must keep to a 30 mile radius]..and you can use agriculural subsidised feul [half the price of regualar diesel]

9. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds like you've got a lot more restrictions then...

Here, if you had a 15 ton trailer, you'd be looking at a large truck to pull it with. So, you'd still be needing a Commercial Driver's License (CDL). Do you already have a bucket truck, etc. that would require jumping through those hoops? If so, do you have to jump through them every time you get a new truck?

Are you planning on pulling the trailer with the tractor? If so, you'll probably be needing a larger tractor than 100 hp.....

Fuel is basically the same concept here. Only the off-road fuel isn't taxed as heavily. Save's ~10-20 cents per gallon, depending on where/how you get it. Doesn't matter if it goes in a tractor or skidsteer, if it's not a licensed vehicle, you can use that fuel.

Dan

10. jd270

jd270 LawnSite Member

in iowa the tax on it is 22.5 state tax and fed tax is 24.6 cents per gal so running red saves almost 50 cents a gal