1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

Design Service Rain Bird, Toro, Orbit, ect.

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by ghoffman105, Jun 25, 2007.

1. ghoffman105

ghoffman105 LawnSite Member
    from NJ

Has anyone used a Design Service for their irrigation needs. It seems you map out your landscape, provide a few numbers for water pressure and Gallons/Minute and they will map it all out for you. Even provide a part by part list of all materials needed. Looking for some input. Thanks in advance.

2. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Umm, you mite have come to the wrong place for this question; the lack of
    responses should indicate that! We make our living designing & installing ( &
    backing up) our systems, & we charge for it. For a good reason: a rep/distributor will design for what parts THEY want to sell, not what's best for the
    site. The "parts counter" designs I've seen are ludicrous at best. Hire a pro,
    pay for it...lots of us will design & help you thru the trickey parts if you want
    to install it yourself. None of us like to trench..goes with the territory. You do
    the grunt work..let a pro do the rest...warranty then exists & you have a REAL
    irrigation system. I should let you know, "Orbit", "Lawn Genie" & "Rain-Jet"
    are not popular brand names around here. Best of luck...pick a budget, be
    honest with the designer/contractor & remember, you don't have to do the
    system all at once! A properly designed system w/spare wire & mainline can
    be done as budget permits.:)

3. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Maybe we can make a list of all the lesser-name products that actually work :) ~ Like Orbit's Hunter rotor, and Lawn Genie Richdel valves.

4. Mike Leary

And warrantee them for twenty minutes & take them back to the bigbox,
    stand in line at the return crap counter? Jeez, I think I have something better
    to do: Watching badger re-runs (w/Barbra Billingsley) (She's the voice of the
    mushroom).:dizzy:

5. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Now, be nice. Richdel stuff with the Lawn Genie name on it worked just fine. Especially that dumb little electromechanical clock Richdel made. An Orbit-branded Hunter head doesn't seem to be anything too horrible. If we complete a list, maybe it can obtain a permanent status (but since it's all-crappy stuff, it would have to be a Smelly, rather than a Sticky)

6. Mike Leary

A "sub-species" of crap....this sounds something we can write up & submit to I.A. when your doing
    the "Cabo iirifest".