• PPP The Second Time Around
    The Emergency Coronavirus Relief Act of 2020 passed in December contained $284 billion for the renewed Paycheck Protection Program (PPP). Click here to read the article.

Desperate for help

John Stonr

LawnSite Member
I was reading a text from a blogger who was desparate for help to fix his Hustler mower. He explained that it stops after mowing a few strips and when restarting it idles but wont run properly. He was given a lot of remedies that didn't help him.
I had the same problem.
Under the carby float there is a device that screws into the float with a electric wire attached that releases a probe with a spring that blocks the main jet when the ignition is off. When the ignition on on a small solenoid pulls the probe down that alows the motor to run. If the solenoid is faulty the probe can be sucked up resulting in the main jet being restricted. To fix the problem unscrew the device and replace it with a 5/16 bolt and insure that fuel doesnt leak from thr bowl. Problem solved.

Andrew Drapper

LawnSite Member
The anti-backfire valve is not fitted for fun, it actually has a function. That could be a temporary or test fix, but the better fix is to replace it with a functioning anti-backfire valve.

BigFish

LawnSite Fanatic
From my 6-2013 reply about solenoid problems :

" The "fuel solenoid " as it is used on most all small engines, only controls/stops the gas from entering the main jet/nozzle. It usually is called an "anti- afterfire" solenoid in most IPLs.
It has nothing to do with fuel flowing thru the inlet needle and seat. In most cases, if the float/needle gets stuck in the open position the carb will still overflow and fill the crankcase with gas !

And yes, all ya gotta do is snip the end/tip off the solenoid.
It helps to stop the backfire if you let the motor idle down a bit to cool off before shutting off. "

Basically, the solenoid stops the fuel flow thru the main jet when ya shut the motor off.
The motor usually continues to spin fer a bit after ya kill it, right ? All the while, sucking air fuel into the cyl, which then passes on to the hot muffler, resulting in the familiar bang !

The solenoids can stick shut from crud buildup or otherwise act stoopid.
So ...the cheap way out is to snip the pintle off, effectively bypassing the solenoid.
Won't hurt a thing. ( see above )

" Do I understand your question, man, is it hopeless and forlorn? "

Last edited:

BigFish

LawnSite Fanatic
The above referenced post :