• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

Details on Volvo/JCB merger

ksss

LawnSite Fanatic
Check this article out of Compact equipment. Interesting.

http://www.compactequip.com/index/webapp-stories-action?id=544

Volvo is really pulling back. They have all but shut down North American production. They are now going to use JCB for their skid steer and track machines. No loss there really, Volvo never put anything to speak of into their skid steers anyway. Not sure that JCB brings anything to this market either but I think it is more reflective of Volvo's market retraction. I am sure that it was not cost effective for Volvo to build skid steers.

YellowDogSVC

LawnSite Gold Member
interesting. The world is consolidating. I'm still not sold on the one-armed loader. I like the cab entrance and exit but I'm not convinced the arm can handle torque forces like other designs.

It's a scary world right now. Not sure where things are going. Thank the Good Lord I have work even if it is slow.

J. Peterson Grading

LawnSite Senior Member
Anything is an improvement over the current Volvo line of skid steers. We currently have a MC110B on winter rent and the guys hate it. It sits most of the time.

Can't wait to send it back.

I do think the JCB loaders aren't all that bad and if this all comes to reality I wouldn't mind trying one out. Plus JCB builds thier skid loaders in Georgia and that could keep folks working down there.

J.

RentalGuy

LawnSite Member
The construction industry is going to see a lot of reorganizations, mergers, buy-outs and such over the next 2-3 years. Some of the companies and lines of equipment that are "on the market" are a bit shocking to hear but that is the way the world turns. I think the manufacturing sector of this market is going to look very different in the near future.

Mowingman

LawnSite Platinum Member
I like the one arm design, but it makes me a little nervous too. however, JCB has a lifetime warranty on that arm as I recall. They sure seem to be confident, with a warranty like that.

stuvecorp

LawnSite Fanatic
Still surprised that they went to JCB but who else would they have partnered with? I think it won't matter who's skid they have as the salesman probably don't want to mess with chasing a skid sale compared to a big wheel loader or excavator. Honestly, would it be better for them to just not mess with a skid steer?

J. Peterson Grading

LawnSite Senior Member
I agree with you Ryan. But, realisticly how many more large machine sales do you think are out there? My Volvo rep just stopped by last week and said something like "Individual Dealers down south are sitting on hundreds of new, used, and repo haul trucks" Dealer went on to say, "(My) dealer hasn't sold that many haulers in a 5 year span, ever."

The future in equipment sales is going to be to landscapers, remodelers, and home improvement/property management companies. They might not get the big sales like a large loader or an excavator, but they will keep moving products and keep thier jobs.

Volvo current line has POS skidsteers. Simple as that. They needed to get a marketable line to try and push while going through these hard times. Terex did it with ASV, so why not a merger of compacts with JCB. Heck maybe Volvo will get some access to the JCB line of TLBs? Couldn't hurt to dump thier current line and get something thats got a ready made market share.

J.

stuvecorp

LawnSite Fanatic
I agree with you Ryan. But, realisticly how many more large machine sales do you think are out there? My Volvo rep just stopped by last week and said something like "Individual Dealers down south are sitting on hundreds of new, used, and repo haul trucks" Dealer went on to say, "(My) dealer hasn't sold that many haulers in a 5 year span, ever."

The future in equipment sales is going to be to landscapers, remodelers, and home improvement/property management companies. They might not get the big sales like a large loader or an excavator, but they will keep moving products and keep thier jobs.

Volvo current line has POS skidsteers. Simple as that. They needed to get a marketable line to try and push while going through these hard times. Terex did it with ASV, so why not a merger of compacts with JCB. Heck maybe Volvo will get some access to the JCB line of TLBs? Couldn't hurt to dump thier current line and get something thats got a ready made market share.

J.
Good point, In the past the 'big iron' salesman wanted nothing to do with me(as a smaller equipment customer) but agree their attitude will likely change now. I am surprised that Volvo dropped the ball so much considering how some of the other lines do well.

Dammit I posted this two weeks ago and no one replied! *shakes fist*
I thought it was talked about? This had some more info about it so go to your happy place Tiger.:)