1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

Determining Gas Usage

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by steviepowers, Feb 9, 2006.

1. steviepowers

steviepowers LawnSite Member

New guy... just wondering on average what an engine will use per hour in gas. I know every machine and user is different. Just looking for a general idea of what I will be using in fuel. I'm cutting with a new Ferris 48" walk-behind with a 15 HP KWSKI, dual hydro. Trying to figure my pricing and expenses. Thank you guys.

2. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

There a few variables, height of cut, walking vs riding, but I would say between 1 and 1.5 gallons per hour

wayne

3. Littleriver1

Littleriver1 LawnSite Senior Member

I only look at what I'm buying and compare it to sales over a set period of time. Tuneups are done when hours / time require it. It makes me ill when I see how much I spend a month or year. Hours per Gal. is important but I wouldn't make myself nuts over it.

4. steviepowers

Not goin' nuts... just wanting a basic idea, average useage, starting point to estimate what my expenses will be so that I can determine what I have to charge to profit without gouging.

5. steviepowers

Thank you for a simple answer, Wayne.