1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Dethatch my lawn with Mantis

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by yungman, Apr 12, 2008.

1. yungman

yungman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Calif.

I finally recieve my Mantis Honda, put it all together. Idle for a few minutes, rev it up and down with no load for a few minutes for break in. Then start the dethatching. The engine is so quiet it is great.

It jump a little. It get the job done...decisively!!! I have no way to compare with the bigger and more expensive Blue Bird, but I think I like the Mantis much better, smaller, more useful in other stuff.

The dethatcher tine look to be well build, should last for a while. I pull out so much thatch it filled up a whole 40 gallon can!!! My problem is the clean up. I ran the lawn mower, can't pickup all of them, rack, still can't get all, blower don't work very well, so now what, leave it??

Bottom line, the Mantis dethatcher work. I notice the engine does have to work. I think I made a wise decision to go with the 42:1 gear ratio Mantis rather than 35:1 Honda FG110. It need all the torque you can get from the engine.:waving:

Hey Exact Rototilling, How's your dethatching go?? I like my Mantis, I am keeping it!!!:waving:

2. S L C

S L C LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like you are tilling a field or something... any grass left there??? :hammerhead::hammerhead::dizzy:

3. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

4. yungman

yungman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Calif.

I have grass, full too, just never dethatch. I use the special dethatching tine I bought from Mantis. All the description in my post is with the dethatching tine, I never even use the standard tine yet. The lawn looks very good now. I think I have to do one more time because I really have a lot, so much came out I can't even see where to dethatch more until I clean it all up. After clear up, I was too tired and lazy to do it again, I am going to wait 2 weeks first.:waving:

5. S L C

S L C LawnSite Senior Member

Gotcha... well, that info. would have been useful from the getgo... Still, what a waste of time doing it with such a small machine... no thanks

6. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

I think your right. Its about 10" shorter than a power rake. There might be an advantage, if you don't want to invest in a power rake right away, or for smaller areas it might be OK.