1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

dethatcher

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JET Lawn Care, Apr 22, 2009.

1. JET Lawn Care

JET Lawn Care LawnSite Member

what the heck is a dethatcher do or used for? if i was to buy one what would i use it to do?

2. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

They break up the dead grass, leaves and other debris thats pressed into your lawn. De-thatchers can also be called power rakes because thats what they do. If a lawn has too much build up, it won't absorb fertilizer very well and won't be as healthy as it can be.

3. Mowbizz

Mowbizz LawnSite Senior Member

This is a picture of "thatch"...too thick a layer is detrimental to lawn health...they say a 1/2 inch of thatch is acceptable. A dethatcher reaches down t this layer and brings up the matted thatch...

.:drinkup:

thatch-plug.jpg

4. JET Lawn Care

JET Lawn Care LawnSite Member

can u expain to me how to use one. think i might get one to put on my tractor. i mean do i just put it on it then lower it? or do i have to ajust it based on what i see on the lawn?

5. Mowbizz

Mowbizz LawnSite Senior Member

I've never used one but I'm sure there are adjustments for how deep the tines reach into the lawn. Maybe a trial and error thing...set it up, try it, then adjust as needed.

6. CGlisson

CGlisson LawnSite Member

I just put my JRCO Tine Rake Dethatcher on today and used it on a few lawns. I did not have to adjust the height at all on the lawns I did. What is most important is mowing a cross pattern to hit the grass at different angles.

Well worth the investment, saves you from raking lawns for spring clean-ups!