1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

dethatching, formula for pricing?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Sep 23, 2002.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

i was asked to bid on a property thats bigger than ive ever bid. the lawn is actually in very good shape, customer wants to stick to his routine of dethatching every 3 yrs. there is minimal that build up. the property is 25,000 sq. ft of turf. flat, level. i use a billy goat thatcher. no seeding, just thatch, clean it up, and haul it away. any price this?

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

$10.00 per M.

3. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

so the whole prop for $250?

4. LawnLad

LawnLad LawnSite Senior Member

We get $18.00 per thousand (I lower the unit cost for properties over 20,000 sq ft). So our quote would be $375.00 to thatch plus labor to clean up the thatch at $35.00 per hour plus hauling if required. Othewise we bag it and leave it on the property.

5. Comet

Comet LawnSite Member

De-thatching @ .05cent per sq ft.
    I have a set minumun of 2,500sqft min = $125.00

the 25,000 sqft lawn there your looking at Id propose $1,250.00
    Ive done front lawns areas up to 16,000 sqft at that pricing structure with no problem plus additional trimming over and above that cost , some customers then again maybe want to only pay $100.00,,,,byebye to them

thas doing a real good job and not just blowing the dead grass debri into piles but putting some rake effort into after its been de-thatched

this has been my pricing,,,
    hope this helps

6. Joel B.

Joel B. LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

Comet,

Let me make sure I'm reading this right, you charge one thousand, two hundred fifty dollars to de-thatch a little over a half acre, flat lot? And people go for this? If I quoted that around here I think the customer would beat me senseless right on the doorstep! Boy, am I in the wrong area! How much do you make in a day de-thatching?

What would you charge to mow/trim/blow the same property?

Sorry for all the questions, I guess it's true what they say about different areas and markets.

Take care,

Joel B.

7. KLMlawn

KLMlawn LawnSite Senior Member

I too am from Long Island ... I get usually .02 - .03 cents per sq.ft
    If it is light or in conjuntion with a renovation, charge the lower amount.
    If it is moderate, about .025 cents per sq.ft.
    The higher amount if the lawn has a heavy amount and there will be a lot to clean up and take away.
    So, for the size property you are estimating, I would charge between $500 -$750, depending on the amount of thatch and work it involves.

8. rvsuper

rvsuper Senior Member

I charge $50.00 per 10,000 square feet, so $125 for the whole dethatch.

9. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

Man, I think I'm gonna start commuting over to LI for work. It's only 12 miles by boat. Anyone know of a good amphibious equipment trailer?

10. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

So I can't really help.

The pricing seems to be all over the place..

What I'd like to know is how long it would take you guys to do a 25,000 sf yard. What is your process?