Dethatching Price

Joana Williams

LawnSite Senior Member
I have a customer with 13k sqft that wants to get dethatched, I would say it's moderate amount of thatch, not a crazy amount, but not a little.

is $455.00 a fair price? Some people I have read about charging $200 / 1k Sqft
I figured $35.00 / 1k Sqft for dethatch is fair

Thanks!

Cut n Strut

LawnSite Gold Member
I have a customer with 13k sqft that wants to get dethatched, I would say it's moderate amount of thatch, not a crazy amount, but not a little.

is $455.00 a fair price? Some people I have read about charging $200 / 1k Sqft
I figured $35.00 / 1k Sqft for dethatch is fair

Thanks!
Is $455 a fair price? How much is it going to cost you to de thatch 13k sq ft? How long will it take? How much do you need to charge for labor?

Fair is in the eye of the beholder. If you rent a machine for $65/day, it takes you 2 hrs @ $50/hr, costs you $85 to haul off the thatch, and 20% profit, then that would put you around $300. Is $300 fair? Depends on what you consider to be fair.

Jake the grass guy

LawnSite Senior Member
I agree with Mathews you need to find your numbers. One way that some people do is they breakup how much they want to make in a day. Say the job will take 1 guy half a day, and you want to make 1000$/day. Then youll be at 500$ plus expenses. ect. It can be hard to judge the amount of thatch you have to haul off. I bid a job for 2 hours and it took me 4. Lesson learned. good luck.

Jake the grass guy

LawnSite Senior Member
the thatch takes up quite alot of space as well so if your planning on throwing it in a pickup or on a trailer really think it through. i had about 18k place and i made about 4 trips with my long bed truck. i thought it would take 1 truck load.... sometimes if im unsure i like for the customer to pay for my mistake and not me. so figure out your number and maybe tack on an extra 15-20% as a buffer.

OP
Joana Williams

Joana Williams

LawnSite Senior Member
Is $455 a fair price? How much is it going to cost you to de thatch 13k sq ft? How long will it take? How much do you need to charge for labor?

Fair is in the eye of the beholder. If you rent a machine for $65/day, it takes you 2 hrs @ $50/hr, costs you $85 to haul off the thatch, and 20% profit, then that would put you around $300. Is $300 fair? Depends on what you consider to be fair.
I agree with Mathews you need to find your numbers. One way that some people do is they breakup how much they want to make in a day. Say the job will take 1 guy half a day, and you want to make 1000$/day. Then youll be at 500$ plus expenses. ect. It can be hard to judge the amount of thatch you have to haul off. I bid a job for 2 hours and it took me 4. Lesson learned. good luck.
If you haven’t done any smaller areas you won’t know how long that will take. Cleaning up the thatch will take awhile. I would want a day.
the thatch takes up quite alot of space as well so if your planning on throwing it in a pickup or on a trailer really think it through. i had about 18k place and i made about 4 trips with my long bed truck. i thought it would take 1 truck load.... sometimes if im unsure i like for the customer to pay for my mistake and not me. so figure out your number and maybe tack on an extra 15-20% as a buffer.
My rental fee is $100.00
I'm not sure how much I will be dumping, like I said this will be my first 10k sqft property.

But I hear some people charging from $80-200/ 1k Sqft, I just think that's a lot. I want to be fair and honest to my customers but I don't want to get screwed either.

Cut n Strut

LawnSite Gold Member
My rental fee is $100.00
I'm not sure how much I will be dumping, like I said this will be my first 10k sqft property.

But I hear some people charging from $80-200/ 1k Sqft, I just think that's a lot. I want to be fair and honest to my customers but I don't want to get screwed either.
Doesn’t really matter what everyone else is charging. What matters is that you charge enough to stay in biz. That means you have to charge enough to cover all costs and make a profit. Only you know what that # needs to be to achieve those goals.

We can’t tell you how much thatch you will be removing either. We haven’t seen the property in person, so again only you can “guess” at how much there will be.

Price it high and if you come in with less costs you can always reduce the bill.

Mitty87

LawnSite Silver Member
My rental fee is $100.00

Really it is quick to do the actual dethatch. With the average small machine it may take around 2 hours to run over everything twice depending how bad it is and how level the ground is.

Then if you are hand raking everything and taking it away, that should easily take the rest of the day. I remember doing like a 7k one years ago with a company I worked for and it took 4 of us a couple hours to take everything up, plus like 10 yards of material. I think I would want to charge at least $1000, probably more, but I’ve only really done jobs at 3-4K or less. It really depends on how much material you scrape up. I’ve had similar size yards vary from 2 hours up to 5 hours just for cleaning up

OP
Joana Williams

Joana Williams

LawnSite Senior Member
I'm just really concerned at the end of the day even though I got my labor rate if it's worth the money or there needs to be an up charge. Everything I've heard and read, dethatching an be the most annoying clean up to it and can get out of control fast. We will find out on Saturday.

sjessen

LawnSite Fanatic
I'm just really concerned at the end of the day even though I got my labor rate if it's worth the money or there needs to be an up charge. Everything I've heard and read, dethatching an be the most annoying clean up to it and can get out of control fast. We will find out on Saturday.
Please post back after doing the job.