Dialing in the sales “spiel”

Hurryupelectric

LawnSite Silver Member
The hangers are up and the prices are written clearly on them. I chose my pricing based on what some of my customers were paying the last landscaper for a biweekly service. There are a few people who became friends who I’ve had cool conversations with and trust the numbers they mentioned. I bumped my pricing up about $10 from last year to be within the general market.

People here have said to charge 1.5x cut all the way up to $1,000,000 for biweeklies but I think I’m at an appropriate number around $50-$80 for my hanger biweekly quotes. The weekly service is $10 cheaper. I may be way off with the difference between weekly and biweekly but it is what it is now and I tried my best to be reasonable, profitable and obtainable. I also only dropped hangers on nice square yards with few obstacles and that have been obviously maintained. So I’m already likely to get mostly easy straight forward easy-ish Lawns.

The point of all this is I’m getting calls already and want to have my sales pitch critiqued. I’m going with,

“biweeklies can be difficult to manage and I cut in a manner to achieve the best results but there is likely going to be grass clippings clearly visible when I leave and I can’t mow over and over because then I’m doing the job 3 times”. Or like y’all have said, you get what you get.

So keeping in mind that the price isn’t much less for weekly service I’m thinking of adding some extras to sweeten the pot.

“My weekly service ensures that your lawn will continuously look nice. Depending on the season and the lawns ever changing needs, or your request, I will mulch, bag or discharge, whatever is ideal for that weeks cut. Weekly service will continue until no longer necessary around September or October and biweekly service will finish the year”.

I don’t mind bagging a weekly lawn, I have room for the little bit of clippings and a weekly cut won’t be anything crazy. I always have a bundle of contractor bags and it adds a negligible amount of time for me to bag. I think all the “extras“ aren’t really that “extra” but allow me to sound like I’m offering the deluxe car wash, when I’m only just vacuuming the cigarette tray and spritzing some cheap vanilla scent. It also gives me a chance to show my understanding of the growth cycle.

What are y’all’s thoughts? The prices are written and hanging on doors so I can’t change it and feel their appropriate, hopefully. I’m gonna tell both that the cut height changes through the year and some biweeklies are bound to say keep it shorter. And plenty of other things but the price conversation is what I’m focusing on currently.

Last edited:
OP
Hurryupelectric

Hurryupelectric

LawnSite Silver Member
About bagging, I will very possibly be running my Honda 21” and Turfmaster unless I get slammed so bagging is much much simpler than say a stand on.

Youngandfree

LawnSite Fanatic
I would make sure you imply bagging isn't going to be the norm. You don't want your entire route requesting or expecting it to be bagged. That toro may have a wide deck, but emptying the bag on it 4,5,6 time or more is a time suck and will take up much more room on that little trailer than you think.

OP
Hurryupelectric

Hurryupelectric

LawnSite Silver Member
I would make sure you imply bagging isn't going to be the norm. You don't want your entire route requesting or expecting it to be bagged. That toro may have a wide deck, but emptying the bag on it 4,5,6 time or more is a time suck and will take up much more room on that little trailer than you think.
Maybe add that bagging will only occur if lots of rain led to a growth spurt and always bagging will cost more?

ScottLawnPatrol

LawnSite Member
I would add that bagging adds material costs and time which adds up quicker than you think. It can help make a biweekly look nicer. When I was in Texas I bagged a lot of yards. Contractor bags aren't cheap and you will notice the dollar or so per yard. Also, in Texas we could leave bagged grass on the curb for collection so it wasn't a big deal. Now I'm in Tennessee and the bagged clippings have to be hauled off. The bags can get heavy and take up more room than you might think and plus you have to dispose of them which typically means a trip to the waste facility. Now I mulch or discharge everything but a few yards that have pools. If there are excess clippings along the curb and driveway that won't blow easily then I sweep up and bag those and even that is a noticeable drain.

Youngandfree

LawnSite Fanatic
Bagging should cost more for sure. Unless you are running a zero with a big bagger on the back, you ruin any productivity that you priced your mow at to begin with for that particular lawn.

OP
Hurryupelectric

Hurryupelectric

LawnSite Silver Member
I would add that bagging adds material costs and time which adds up quicker than you think. It can help make a biweekly look nicer. When I was in Texas I bagged a lot of yards. Contractor bags aren't cheap and you will notice the dollar or so per yard. Also, in Texas we could leave bagged grass on the curb for collection so it wasn't a big deal. Now I'm in Tennessee and the bagged clippings have to be hauled off. The bags can get heavy and take up more room than you might think and plus you have to dispose of them which typically means a trip to the waste facility. Now I mulch or discharge everything but a few yards that have pools. If there are excess clippings along the curb and driveway that won't blow easily then I sweep up and bag those and even that is a noticeable drain.
I won’t be bagging biweeklies lol. My neighborhoods are specifically chosen to be near my house, shop or the dump. I actually reuse my contractor bags and just dump at the landfills grass pile. But I get it, I can get myself in trouble if a lot of clients take me up on offering bagging on every cut.

Top Forums