Dialing in the sales “spiel”

Freaky Fido

LawnSite Bronze Member
Biweekly may work out okay for you with your grasses. It's pretty difficult until mid summer here in the northeast with cool season grasses. Even then it's ONLY for unfertilized/unirrigated natural lawns.

Just don't get yourself into the situation where you're reclaiming the lawn every time that you're there. Cut high rather than choke your mower, clog the deck and start spitting clumps. Consider having an "excessive growth" surcharge for times you show up and the lawn is just ridiculously long and takes forever to mow.

Edit - I don't offer bagging as a service or charge extra when I do it at my discretion unless I have to take the clippings with me. For some lawns I prefer to bag in order to keep the clippings off of pavement and out of the beds. I always bag pool areas.

Last edited:

Valk

LawnSite Platinum Member
OP, what are your municipality rules for yard debris? Paper bags? Large brown yard debris recycling containers? Haul away only?

I don't even offer bagging (or hauling anything away). Not worth the headache for me in my region.

Nowhere near me even allows plastic yard debris bags to be set out for collection. All grass/leaves must be in paper bags OR in a city-sold large brown wheeled plastic 95 gal container. Paper bags are frankly INFURIATING.

Note that each individual municipality may very well have different approaches/rules when it comes to bagging/bundling yard debris.

OP
Hurryupelectric

Hurryupelectric

LawnSite Silver Member
OP, what are your municipality rules for yard debris? Paper bags? Large brown yard debris recycling containers? Haul away only?

I don't even offer bagging (or hauling anything away). Not worth the headache for me in my region.

Nowhere near me even allows plastic yard debris bags to be set out for collection. All grass/leaves must be in paper bags OR in a city-sold large brown wheeled plastic 95 gal container. Paper bags are frankly INFURIATING.

Note that each individual municipality may very well have different approaches/rules when it comes to bagging/bundling yard debris.
Last year I carried all my contractor bags to the waste center and emptied an reuse the bags. I have a small trailer now and can still fit 3 full bags in my back seat. I don’t fuss with paper bags and say its a service to not litter their curbs with yard debris. I also only work within close range of my shop/house/dump to offload quickly.
That being said I won’t be advertising bagging as the replies and my own experience say it’s not a way to work productively. I’ll bag occasionally as the situation dictates and leave it out of my sales pitch. I plan on tightening up my wasteful practices from last year and bagging is one of those things.

Top Forums