• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

Diamond Blades

RedRebel

LawnSite Member
Ok I need some advice regarding diamond blades and concrete cutting.
I will be using it for mostly cutting cured concrete,but it may see some sawcutting for contraction joints. Is there a brand or style that anyone recomends? Are the ebay cheapos worth anything for the price? I am really unsure on the type grit and hardness on the blades and what I really need. :dizzy: Also, do youall usually cut wet or dry? I dont like the slurry when cut wet(its almost impossible to remove, but I dont like the dust when cutting dry also. I am told that blade life is increased by 25% when cut wet. Is there any truth in that? I have not done any long distance cutting, but what kind of distance can I expect out of a 14" blade cutting 4" concrete on average?
Any reviews, recomendations, or advice would be apprciated.

ksss

LawnSite Fanatic
Ok I need some advice regarding diamond blades and concrete cutting.
I will be using it for mostly cutting cured concrete,but it may see some sawcutting for contraction joints. Is there a brand or style that anyone recomends? Are the ebay cheapos worth anything for the price? I am really unsure on the type grit and hardness on the blades and what I really need. :dizzy: Also, do youall usually cut wet or dry? I dont like the slurry when cut wet(its almost impossible to remove, but I dont like the dust when cutting dry also. I am told that blade life is increased by 25% when cut wet. Is there any truth in that? I have not done any long distance cutting, but what kind of distance can I expect out of a 14" blade cutting 4" concrete on average?
Any reviews, recomendations, or advice would be apprciated.

As far as the hardness you would want to get a blade made for cured and not green concrete. I never tried anything off of Ebay but if they are from a reputable company than they should be fine. I try to use water when practical. Its a bit of mess but the blades last a lot longer. 25% is conservative. I would say about twice as long when using water. I have never tracked the total feet I have gotten out of blade. With all the variables not sure its really possible. A lot of times its impossible to get water to the saw so you cut dry and cut the life of the blade. There are special blades for cutting asphalt and I have found its best to keep asphalt blades for asphalt and concrete just for concrete. I know there are all purpose blades but it I have had the best luck buying for the specific application. Cutting concrete sucks with a demo saw. The walk behind models are easier but I seldom rent them. I usually make do with my Husky/Partner 760. They do make neat little carts for these saws but I have not made that purchase yet.

OP
R

RedRebel

LawnSite Member
Last but not least, what do you usually charge by lf in your area? I am doing alittle work and I bid it at 3.00 per lf for 4" concrete and came out ok, but I was wondering the general price the market would bear.

crab

LawnSite Senior Member
i cut wet and dry ,i use only 2 brands dixie and latux,if you are cutting dry in hard material granite etc for the price you will get your moneys worth.