1. Countdown to live Ask the Expert TODAY!
    Learn how to do more with less when it comes to your fertilization services. Join the live Ask the Expert event hosted by Koch Turf & Ornamental TODAY at 12-2 p.m. ET in the Fertilizer Application forum .

Dismiss Notice

Did I make the right decision?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Jdmtnbikr, Apr 8, 2006.

1. Jdmtnbikr

Jdmtnbikr LawnSite Member

This may be a stupid question, but here goes anyway....

Late last year, I was very unhappy with my current job (interior plantscaping maintenance) so I got the strong urge to go out on my own and start up a side business and hope it grew from there. I wanted to get into more landscaping and gardening design/maintenance. I bought a bunch of books, some equipment (not tons), did research and marketing, signed up for some classes. Very slow, I had a grand total of 2 clients up until about 4 weeks ago.

At that time, my current job had gotten really miserable so I started looking for a new full time job. Well, I lucked out and found one about 2 weeks ago. Working for a bio-tech company, as an Agricultural Research Associate. Pay is "decent" for entry level, plenty of room for advancement, benefits are amazingly good. Profit sharing, pension, 401k etc etc. Anyway, I am very excited about the new position but....

I was excited about starting my own business as well, and I sort of feel I just gave up on that. I know I made the smart move however, I think, just wanted some opinions.

Good steady job vs. who knows what??

2. Joey bag a' donuts

Joey bag a' donuts LawnSite Member

Congrats, I vote for the good steady job.

3. cwlawley

cwlawley LawnSite Senior Member

I also vote for the steady job. If you want you can always get some really high paying customers and keep them part time.

4. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Yes I think you made the correct decision..there is a time and place for everything in it's season.

5. wecruisin

wecruisin LawnSite Member

I started a job about 2 months ago that the first 2 weeks of it I hated. The pay is great for the area, the work is hard but i can advance quickly to different positions. I had been thinking of starting my own lawn business anyway before then since i had been working with a guy for the last almost 2 years. So i went out and bought a Zero-turn mower, new trailer and all to start my own. Now what do you know, i like my job now. So i'm sticking with the steady paycheck now and just going to sell the equipment i had bought and try to recover some of my money that i put into it. We live, we learn.

I vote for the steady job also.