1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Diesel oil types?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Bunton Guy, Jan 17, 2003.

1. Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy LawnSite Bronze Member

I got a new bobcat diesel 61"z rider...it came with the 20hp Yanmar diesel. The book says to use 10W30 but my diesel truck (f-350) takes 15w-40 (rotella T ) just curious what is anyone else running in their yanmars?

2. ducky1

ducky1 LawnSite Senior Member

We dont have any yamars but we run rotella in everything we have . Always have had good luck with rotella.
    ducky

3. Ricky

Ricky LawnSite Member

I have a 26 hp. Yanmar. I also use 15w 40 Rotella T. :)

4. Bunton Guy

My Yanmar manual says to use a SAE J-300C oil and DO NOT USE
    API-CE, CF-4, CG-4 and the bottle of Rotella T says it meets and or exceeds CF-4 & CG-4....so I guess that means not to use it?

5. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I don't have any diesels, but I run Rotella in my work truck, tractor, and one older mower. My newer truck gets Mobil 1, and all other equipment gets Opti-4 oil.

I would think the rotella would work great in that diesel.

6. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I've got an 18hp Yanmar in my Gator. I use Valvoline Premium Blue 15-40. It's $1.68 at Walmart.

7. mmathys

mmathys LawnSite Member

Is this an air-cooled engine? They run hotter and require special oils. I would go with what the manufacture recommends.

Mark

8. Bunton Guy

ITs liquid cooled with a fan just like a diesel truck.

9. mmathys

mmathys LawnSite Member

I couldn't find anything on SAE J-300C spec. I work with oils every day and have not heard of that one. The only case I know of where they don't want you to run CG-4/CH-4 oil is for 2-Cycle diesels like Detroit 671's. Here they want CF oil. Some of the additives cause problems with these engines.

I don't know why they wouldn't want you to run the CH-4 type oils.

Mark

10. Bunton Guy

I noticed this mower is one heck of a knock and fire motor.....it has a loud nock sounds similar to a Cummins diesel engine or a little bit like a GM diesel not a verry smoothe diesel purr like a duramax diesel truck or a powerstroke but my dealer said that the yanmar does have a loud knock and thats basically what a diesel engine is a knock and fire so I guess that is ok its just sometimes very loud on the ears in a enclosed trailer.