1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Diesel oil types?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Bunton Guy, Jan 17, 2003.

1. weve

weve LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Central Illinois

I also have the Yanmar diesel 3TNE74(C). My Yanmar manual for TNE series engines states: "Use Class CC or CD (API Engine Service Classification) oil". 10W30 is recommended for -5º to 87º Farenheit ambient temperature range and 20W40 for 12º to 105º F ambient temperature.

I've been using 10W30 wt. Mystik JT-8 by CITGO. It is API Service CG-4, CF-4, CF/SH and is recommended for all diesel engines.

2. Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy LawnSite Bronze Member

I would like to use Rotella 15W40 the operating temps for this mower is no lower than freezing mark so from 32*to 100*F

3. weve

weve LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Central Illinois

4. Ross in IL

Ross in IL LawnSite Member

I worked at a state college on their grounds crew a few years ago. They had mostly JD's 430's and 455's with Yanmar diesels. They ran Shell Rotella 15-40 year 'round. The 430 I ran had 6,000 extremely hard and neglected hours. They're still running it three years later. I run Shell in my equipment never had any oil related problems.
    Ross

5. rkbrown

rkbrown LawnSite Senior Member

Shell Rotella, Chevron Delo 400, and Mobile Delvac 1300 are all good oils. You can't go wrong with any of them.