1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental on the Fertilizer Application forum .

Dismiss Notice

Diesel or gas truck?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by F Haney, Feb 20, 2018.

1. F Haney

F Haney LawnSite Member

I am looking to buy a used mowing truck. My last two were Chevrolet 3500 dually gas . I am considering trying a diesel. I don't know that much about them other than what I've seen while shopping online. I know they have more torque, last longer (supposedly). What are the advantages of having diesel? Disadvantages? Tell me why I should go diesel, or NOT. Thanks for input.

2. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

You’re not going to get the realized value from a diesel in a mow truck

Higher cost of ownership alround without the payoff of lots and lots of miles out on in a short period of time

There is no payoff to diesel in a mow rig

Bumpmaster and Mdirrigation like this.
  3. TX Easymoney

TX Easymoney LawnSite Platinum Member

Whys the dually need?

4. kemco

kemco LawnSite Bronze Member

I've got 2 dually trcks. F350 gasser when pulling a trailer or a full tank as it is now set as my designated spray truck gets about 8 miles to the gallon. My dodge 3500 with a Cummins gets right at 15 pulling a fully loaded 20ft leaf trailer with maybe 4 to 6k pounds of wet leaves. Yeah I think it's worth it.

Blainethompson and F Haney like this.
  5. TX Easymoney

TX Easymoney LawnSite Platinum Member

I get it on heavy trailers full of gravel, stone etc...6/8 k is 6/8 K..never had that many leaves, ...my 3/4 ton Chevy diesel pulls 18ft lawn equipment around easy...no dually

6. F Haney

F Haney LawnSite Member

Don't need a dually, just what I had in the past. They did pull nice. I'm moving to a 3/4 ton. Question is DIESEL or GAS ?

7. F Haney

F Haney LawnSite Member

Yeah, my gassers were the same, a reason I'm looking at a diesel.

8. bmc1025

bmc1025 LawnSite Senior Member

A place I worked at had a 97 chevy 2500 2wd gas with a 5 speed manual. That thing would consistently get 15 MPG pulling a 16ft mow trailer. Empty highway runs would push 20MPG. I don't think you can find a V8 gas truck now that will do the same.

F Haney likes this.
  9. bmc1025

bmc1025 LawnSite Senior Member

I own 3 diesel duallys a 98 GMC 3500HD 6.5 Diesel, an 03 Duramax and a 06 Duramax. Around town driving the duramax trucks get at best 13MPG and usually 11-12MPG with 3.73 gears. The 98 6.5 has 4.56 gears and consistently gets around 14. Maintenance is considerably more expensive on the diesels and you will never make up in fuel costs for it.

Keep in mind all of the big 3 diesels can have head gasket issues, especially when bought used, most used diesels have had a programer or tune in a past life and you will likely be buying someone else's problems. HG job is 5K plus at a shop and about 1,500.00 and 35-40HRS worth of time on a Ford or GM if you decide to do the job yourself.

If you only tow mowers and leaves around get a half ton 2wd with a V6. Purchase price is usually less than 2/3 of a diesel, maintenance is cheep and you should be able to get decent fuel economy.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
    F Haney and sehitchman like this.
  10. Dawson

Dawson LawnSite Bronze Member

If he's pulling a trailer all the time he needs a 3\4 ton.....1\2 ton trucks are not designed for towing full time.... Transmission, brakes, suspension is all much lighter duty.
    The difference between a 1\2 ton and 3\4 ton truck is a lot more than 1\4 ton.

F Haney likes this.