diesel prices...

Cummins343

LawnSite Silver Member
With all of you that drive diesel trucks, what are you guys going to do to compensate for rising prices? The experts say that gas prices will reach $5-6 in 2012. I am considering going out and buying a 90's honda civic or accord. I know in the army were hurting on fuel as well. Our HETT's sit silent in our motorpool.

Junior M

LawnSite Fanatic
With all of you that drive diesel trucks, what are you guys going to do to compensate for rising prices? The experts say that gas prices will reach $5-6 in 2012. I am considering going out and buying a 90's honda civic or accord. I know in the army were hurting on fuel as well. Our HETT's sit silent in our motorpool.
Got no choice but to make more money and only drive when necessary..

Cant haul tools and pull a piece of equipment with a civic..

OP
Cummins343

Cummins343

LawnSite Silver Member
Got no choice but to make more money and only drive when necessary..

Cant haul tools and pull a piece of equipment with a civic..
LOL it is possible though :laugh: Right now it's $3.60/gal here.

Landrus2

LawnSite Fanatic
A saw a guy lasr year mowing with an electric mower :confused:

tnmtn

LawnSite Bronze Member
I picked up an old mazda truck. it's a beater for sure but for the $1200 I have in it I'm enjoying the better gas milage. Only using the diesels for hauling or towing. I carry all the hand tools fuel for machines in the little truck now. It's also much easier to park. I guess my average savings are between 40-60 dollars a week.

OP
Cummins343

Cummins343

LawnSite Silver Member
I've honestly just quit looking at prices..It hurts to bad to even think about it. :laugh:
oh don't even get me started lol I hate even looking at my gas meter. Like I said were hurting in the army for fuel. Our tank transport trucks just sit in the motor pool.
Posted via Mobile Device

Scag48

LawnSite Fanatic
Not to be an ass and I know times are tough across the board, but for those of you in business for yourselves, it's the cost of doing business. Gotta have a truck to work, not much you can do about it. I have a diesel truck that sees very little use, unfortunately, because I'm a tightwad and can't stand to know how much it costs me to drive it. Those of us who are hired hands have learned to drive crackerbox cars to work every day and keep the trucks for the weekends. I bought a Civic 4 years ago, drove it 100 miles a day for 18 months, next job was 15 miles from home, then I moved to the yard which is 25, and I'm buying a house that puts me 45 miles from the yard. Best you can do is conserve as much as possible and drive only when/where you need to.

swanny

LawnSite Senior Member
make your own bio and blend it with petro to offset costs. It really isn't that much expense or hassle once you get set up.

Or do like a friend of mine - buy one of those early VW caddy rabbit pickups and stuff a late model 4 cyl. vw turbo diesel w/ 5 speed to get in the 60 mpg range. He can haul quite a load of stuff too.