Diesel vs: gas

JD997

LawnSite Member
Advice need, for the first time in 31 years I am thinking about switching from a JD 997 to a JD 925a fuel injection mower. Has anyone used or have a JD 925a ? If so, give me your good/bad on this mower. The dealer in town is really high on this mower. Any help would be great. thanks

Ridin' Green

LawnSite Fanatic
welcome to the forum!

Several guys here have Z925A's, but I don't recall anyone saying yet that they have the EFI version.

I know mowerbrad has a Z925/54", and seems to be quite pleased with it. He has the MOD deck and a bagging system for it too, so he has some good all around experience for the last year or two on it. Maybe he'll see this, but maybe not with the title you have, so try PM'ing him.

mowerbrad

LawnSite Fanatic
The Z925A with the new EFI engine is quite new. My dealer has one in their showroom but I don't know of anyone who has purchased one yet. When John Deere came out with the claims of the 25% fuel savings over the non-EFI kawasaki engine, they were saying that it was a little conservative and that they often saw a little bit more in fuel savings at times. But since the unit is so new, there reallly aren't that many out in the field that I know of around me.

The 925 itself is a very well built/engineered machine. You are already familiar with John Deere (from the sounds of things) so you know all about their cut quality and mowing deck. The 900 series is a very clean/sleek looking machine. I have found that doing the routine maintenance on the machine is quite easy. Oil changes, fuel filter changes, air filter changes, greasing and checking fluid levels is all quite easy. Changing the spark plugs are a little more challenging since there is a guard all the way around the engine, so it can be a little tight pulling the spark plug wires off, but it really isn't somethng that I have been concerned with. I particularly love greasing the machine as everything is so easy to get to, even greasing the spindles (the zerks are right on top of the spindles).

You may find that the machine has a bit of a rough ride when on rougher properties. Having the super cushioned seat helps but I also added the suspension seat kit to my machine just this past fall. The ride didn't bother me much, but I wanted to smooth out the ride just a little bit (definately helps a ton if you are concerned about the ride).

If you aren't familiar with the MOD (mulch-on-demand) decks, I would educate yourself on that. It is a great alternative if you plan on bagging and mulching. Also works well if you want to half bag and half mulch a lawn (just close the MOD deck half way when bagging and you get the best of both worlds). In regards to the bagging system, the Deere system is my favorite, easy on and off, awesome performance with 8" connecting tube and good sized capacity.

The 900's are pretty good on hills too! Mine will hold hills quite well. They are very smooth driving and hold up quite well.

You are used to diesel machines, so you will need to make sure that you understand that the 925 will feel weak compared to a 997. I find my 925 to have ample power when bagging, the only time I really would like more power is when I am bagging and going up steep hills. Otherwise, I find that it can handle most situations very well.

I am so far very pleased with my 925 and have no plans to switch machines anytime soon. I have owned a Bob-cat ztr and a Dixie Chopper ztr prior to the 925 and neither one of those worked as well for me as my John Deere Z925.

Here's a link to a full review I did of my 925 after the first year with it... http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=334965

If you have any other questions about it, let me know.

Oh. I am using about 1.7 gph right now for fuel when bagging if that helps any.

cutbetterthanyou

LawnSite Bronze Member
Advice need, for the first time in 31 years I am thinking about switching from a JD 997 to a JD 925a fuel injection mower. Has anyone used or have a JD 925a ? If so, give me your good/bad on this mower. The dealer in town is really high on this mower. Any help would be great. thanks
Why the switch? Money or problems with the 997? I ask because if all works out I am buying a new 997 next week.

Fresh-popcorn

LawnSite Member
I also wonder why the switch to gas vs diesel.
Two weeks ago I purchased a 997 which they just delivered yesterday after getting in the rear bumper and installing it.
I've been running the JD950a w/31hp for a few years now and while it has good power there were many times in which I wish it had more power. Was there something wrong with the 997? I took it out for a spin this morning and noticed that it drives much differently than the 950. Can't wait until my first cut to test it out.

Ridin' Green

LawnSite Fanatic
Two weeks ago I purchased a 997 which they just delivered yesterday after getting in the rear bumper and installing it.
I've been running the JD950a w/31hp for a few years now and while it has good power there were many times in which I wish it had more power. Was there something wrong with the 997? I took it out for a spin this morning and noticed that it drives much differently than the 950. Can't wait until my first cut to test it out.
You took a brand new machine out in this snow? Sacrilege :laugh: I can't imagine needing more power than the 950's have, at least here in MI. Maybe in the mountains down south or out west though. I ran a 960 for a while last year, and it was overkill on everything, but it was nice to have. Don't misunderstand me though, I am a huge diesel fan.

Flex-Deck

LawnSite Silver Member
I purchased a 997 two years ago with the 72" 7iron deck, have about 980hrs on it, and it is one fine machine. That deck will pool table anything you go thru as fast as the 31HP yanmar will take you. Maintainance is easy, fuel economy good, and it is solid. PS. I also have 4 X748's that I love.

Fresh-popcorn

LawnSite Member
You took a brand new machine out in this snow? Sacrilege :laugh: I can't imagine needing more power than the 950's have, at least here in MI. Maybe in the mountains down south or out west though. I ran a 960 for a while last year, and it was overkill on everything, but it was nice to have. Don't misunderstand me though, I am a huge diesel fan.
I just got done plowing and wanted to know how well it did in the slippery stuff with the added weight. Grabbed really good in the white stuff. :)