• Landscape Lighting Design: Bright Ideas
    With outdoor spaces more popular than ever, lighting these landscapes may be your next opportunity. Click here to learn more.

diesel vs. gas

cklands

LawnSite Senior Member
same thought here. They are usually 5-6k more and the repairs are usually more. For a dump you are going to keep until it's dead I would say yes. For a personal/work truck, no.

Kelly's Landscaping

LawnSite Platinum Member
I'm wrestling with that same idea on mowers what good is having a great motor when everything else is worn out. I think it comes down to price I personally wouldn’t pay the extra to move up from say a 27 hp gas to a diesel but, when you start hitting 14000-15000 per mower on the bigger motors 31-34 the prices are very similar then. So I think I might just bite then. But it comes with other issues like you can no longer steal the mowers extra gas you have in the can to make 2 cycle.

xcopterdoc

LawnSite Senior Member
"But it comes with other issues like you can no longer steal the mowers extra gas you have in the can to make 2 cycle."

Never heard of a 2 stroke diesel eh?? hehe!

bob

LawnSite Platinum Member
I bought a Gravely 272z with a 31hp turbo-diesel last year. Gobs of torque and power. It also uses about the same amount of fuel per hour(1 gal), as my Grasshopper 725 Kubota gas (25hp).

ccl

LawnSite Member
If you are doing this fulltime, I would say go with diesel. More torque, better fuel economy(cheaper per gal. too). If your really concerned with production, your not going to have to slow down much in high or wet grass and more than likely only have to fuel up one time. I would look at the kubota zd mowers, theres a couple of guys around here that use them with the new zd pro deck and they leave an awesome cut quality and they cost approx. 9k-9.5k. not much more than some gas models.