Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have as I'm sure some of you have read they 25hp kohler gd chariot. With less then two hours, engine is bad, rings are no good and some other stuff. I and my brother beleive we should get a new engine on our less then two hour old Chariot. Which i think is not asking that much considering we just bought the thing.
A kohler rep. wants to just replace the block which to me and my bro id just unsatisfactory. I dont want to go buy a 01' corvette, leave the dealer, blow the engine and get the block replaced, thats BS.
Now, we have one def. choice and one possible choice. We can downgrade the the 23hp kaw, but we dont know what kind of difference the 2hp will make? Is it anything worth b*tching over? We also may have the choice to put the *GULP* 26 HP kohler efi engine on there (dealer still looking into possiblities, not sure if they make vert. shaft.)

Bottomline is what do you guys think? I dont want tog et a new 25hp kohler and be back at the shop @ 50 hours getting the head gasket redone. Any help is appreciated. THANKS.

Chris
-Precision Landcaping

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
I know Kawasaki makes a 22hp liquid cooled engine. I don't know about the 23hp. But any motor other than a Kohler would be the way to go. From all the complaints on this forum about Kohler engines, I don't think I would ever get one. I'll stick with my Kubota's.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
We have a range of Kohler motors from 14h/p In our Toro Pro-Lines too 20h/p 25h/p and 26h/p in the Walker mowers, hours range from 2940hrs to a new 2hrs 26EFI Walker we love the Kohlers had nothing but a total of 4000hrs of trouble free.

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Kawi 23 hp is a 680cc,Command 25 is 725cc.from my experience the kawi is more powerful than the 25 command.Get the Kawi,its a better motor period,and every Kawi is underrated anyway.I have 32 kawi motors in my fleet of carts now all 99's with over 400hrs,not one has needed even a tiny bit of oil,or a wrench on it for anything other tham maintance.Japanese have tighter tolerances and better fit and finish on products.I think of the 23hp as an upgrade,it will probably increase the resale over a kohler25 too.The problem with the 26EFI is that its the same 25hp engine with an unproven EFI system on it,so your getting the same thing you just got pulled out,with another thing to go wrong.I wish mine blew at 2hrs,then i wouldve took the machine back and left it there,cant you void the sale with 3 days?I thought you could for a major malfuction such as that.Good luck and be happy that you have the option now to get rid if it.

[Edited by John DiMartino on 09-19-2000 at 02:04 AM]

·
Banned
2,999 Posts
With only two hours on the thing and no dealer satisfaction, I'd just ask for my money back.

GEO

·
Husband, Father, Friend, Angel
4,830 Posts
I have been told the Kaw 23 has as much power as the Kohler 25 also. I was chatting with my Lesco dealer today and asked him if they had any problems with the 23's they use. He said the biggest problem with the 23 Kaw's is on the carb. He said it is more like an automotive type carb and it can't take the bouncing to good. Other than that, it's holding up good. This is just what I heard, so don't go bashing me. :)

·
Registered
501 Posts
John: Those aren't lawns, those are fairways and greens. Do you own your own course or are you a greens super? I have a PGA card myself but I'm currently self employed in the lawn business.
I don't get to play enough.

·
Registered
921 Posts
I had 70 hours on my 25 Kohler when it went out. Dealer replace it with another complete motor. I have 900 on the clock now with no problems.
I have Kaw 12 1/2 on my two walkbehinds. Great motors!

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
26 EFI is really 26hp,the 25 is reallly 22.It is the same motor,it has identical borexstroke,and and shares the same bottom end with all the Command Vtwins from 17hp up.The heads and block are the same as 25hp,so dont think for a minute that this motor cant pop gaskets.Displacement is 725cc,same as 25hp.EFI makes up power difference.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Exmark is going to make the 23 Kawi available in there Lazer for 2001. I have the 25 Kohler in my lazer now with 250 hours and no problems. I asked Exmark about the comparison of the two engines and they rated them equal. They said I could do anything with the Kawi that I do with the Kohler.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
I can speak from experience on this item!!! I have a 23 Kaw in my Laser. (They came out this year, by the way) I have put thousnads of hours on 25 Kohler Lasers also. I would take the less HP any day. The 25 Kohler struggles, compared to the 23 Kaw. It may be smaller, but it packs a punch. Going up hills, the Kohler boggs and you have to slow down. 23 rips up hills full speed, while doing a wheelie(if you want it too). Buy the Kaw!! I have about 600 hours on my Kaw. Runs great, no problems. Stay away from the Kohler.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Major dittos on the kaws. 2500+ hours on 22hp LC motor, had 1 problem, but still ran till the day was done. Water was leaking out of blown crankcase gasket. Easy fix, 2 hours, compression is only down 3psi from stock specs. Their coming out with 27hp LC motor. Thats the next motor I'll buy in the winter, if the 22hp will EVER quit on me.
Thats my 2 cents............

·
Registered
7,940 Posts
Is there any info available on the new 27 HP LC Kawi? I see that it is going to be introduced in the 2001 Lazers. This engine seems to be an excellent compact design. Will it still be a V-Twin? I think it will go over well, and ease the monopoly of Kohlers. I think the 22 HP LC Kawi is a little on the underpowered side for 60" mowers and certainly on 72" machines. All hail the 27!!!

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
I haven't heard anyhting specific on the new Kaw, wxcept for that the fact that its coming out on the lasers. If I do, I will let you know, I have to go up to my dealer and get some parts, so I'll ask him for info.

·
Registered
610 Posts
I have two kohlers on dixies that run ok and i used to have a turf tradcer with a 19 horse kawasaki on it. The kawasaki would go up hills like cutter said and the kohlers do bog down when going up hills. I thought that i was comparing a rider to a walkbehind but i have heard it from someone else now and would take the kawasaki over a kohler. Ive always enjoyed the purring of my 19 horse kawasaki with the deep purring sound when in idle, compared to the ear deafening chopping of the kohlers. I gues thats why they call it a dixie CHOPPPAAHH!

I just cant wait till they come out with more hp motors than a 23hp for the kawis.

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
I found out that the 23Kawi is stronger by accident,my cousin boughtBobcat Zt200,61",new a month ago,top of line with 25hp,they had a 23hp kawi,they tried to sell him.He really wanted the nicer model,it had a better seat too.It took a little longer to come in than expected,so about a week before it came in,they let him take home the 23Hp until the 25 came in.After using the 23hp for about 10 days,the new one came in.He is so upset about how much of a dog it is.The 23hp kawi is at least 2-3hp stronger than the 25,maybe more,it never bogs,and it got quite a bit better economy too.He tried to get them to put the 23 in his new one,he was going to pay for the swap,they wouldnt do it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.