Difference between a commercial and residential 21" mower

FinerCutslawnCare

LawnSite Bronze Member
Everything and more. Cut, qaulity and how long you wanna wait before you go by another cheap mower. I have come to realize a looooonng time ago, if this is your profession and you are using equipment everyday, don't cheap out. Get something that your not going to want to upgrade. I have gotten angry with myseld numerous times with going on the cheap route on equipment! my .02

Alan0354

LawnSite Platinum Member
But don't you think the cheap mower has virtual also? For one, they are lighter.....a lot lighter so it is so much easier to throw it into the bed and take it down. This become important if you are in more dense area where you do a lot of small jobs.

Also you can get 5 cheap mower for the price of one commercial one. You just use until it breaks and throw it away. No need to deal with dealer of expensive maintenance.

But don't you think the cheap mower has virtual also? For one, they are lighter.....a lot lighter so it is so much easier to throw it into the bed and take it down. This become important if you are in more dense area where you do a lot of small jobs.

Also you can get 5 cheap mower for the price of one commercial one. You just use until it breaks and throw it away. No need to deal with dealer of expensive maintenance.
You can, but why have the downtime and deal with breakdowns all the time??
Posted via Mobile Device

Darryl G

Inactive
One of the biggest mistakes I made was buying a $1000+ Honda 21 inch mower...I just don't use it enough and could have gotten buy with what I already had...the hydro and blade brake are nice, but for something I use a few hours a year it was a bad decision. Now if you mow small lawns a lot and are going to be putting hundreds of hours on it a year, yeah go with a commercial unit.

Jimslawncareservice

LawnSite Platinum Member
How many hours are you going to put on a season? Earlier this year I bought an exmark 21 new. I went commercial because I estimate I use it about 4-5 hours a week. Close to a 100 hours a year.
Posted via Mobile Device

KeystoneLawn&Landscaping

LawnSite Senior Member
I have a Toro self propelled homeowner model. Bought it used 4 years ago for $75. I put about 100 hours a year on it. Regular maintenance only. The mower I replaced was a homeowner Cub Cadet. It was 8 years old, mowed about 100 hours a year, and regular maintenance only. ( gave that mower to a friend who has done nothing to it and has mowed with it for 4 years) The only reason I replaced it was so I didn't have to push anymore. I still have a Poulan Pro 21" for a back up. Bought it to replace the cadet, but didnt like the way it pushed so kept using the cadet. IMO, commercial 21s are overrated!