Difference between PermaGreen Centri and Ultra

jay12

LawnSite Senior Member
Can someone please tell me the difference between a perma green ultra and a centri. I am not familiar with the machines and I have an opportunity to buy either. Centri is a little older has around 550 hrs and the ultra has 350. Any help would be appreciated.

turf hokie

LawnSite Silver Member
never had a centri, but can tell you to stay away from the ultra, had 3 of them, they broke down more often than I care to remember. My understanding from guys that owned centris and went to ultras was that the ultras were a step backwards.

Turf Dawg

LawnSite Gold Member
If I remember right the Ultra is the only model Permagreen made with a electric pump and spinner that is driven by a pto shaft on engine. All the others have manual/belt driven pumps and spinner plates. If the engine goes out on my Ultra I am in trouble because Briggs no longer makes engines for them [so I am told] and I would have to get the high dollar conversion that has a Honda engine with the belt driven pump and spinner plate, like the others. Some have said they prefer the Centri over the rest of Permagreen models because the spray pattern is wider than the Magnum and some have the Spyker fert hopper witch is superior to the Lesco style on the other ones. I believe most will tell you to get the Centri.

RigglePLC

LawnSite Fanatic
I was satisfied for four years with my Ultra. True, I had a few problems with the wiring and battery. And the engine is no longer made. Ultra used a Lesco hopper, three hole. See my pics.

The Centri is a good machine. I think the pump is electric, but it is driven by a heavy duty generator on the motor. The nozzles are mounted higher up I think. The spreader is a Spyker, with one large opening.

Remember both transmissions have an aluminum outer case--fertilizer may eventually eat a hole in the transmission. Call the guy; ask him to hear it run on the phone; get video if possible. As I recall, each nozzle should put out about 45 ounces per minute.

OP
J

jay12

LawnSite Senior Member
Do any of you have the carrier rack for them. I would like to see one up close in a picture so I could fabricate one.
Posted via Mobile Device

OP
J

jay12

LawnSite Senior Member
Yes it does have the subaru on it, 6 HP maybe?
Posted via Mobile Device

ted putnam

LawnSite Fanatic
If I remember right the Ultra is the only model Permagreen made with a electric pump and spinner that is driven by a pto shaft on engine. All the others have manual/belt driven pumps and spinner plates. If the engine goes out on my Ultra I am in trouble because Briggs no longer makes engines for them [so I am told] and I would have to get the high dollar conversion that has a Honda engine with the belt driven pump and spinner plate, like the others. Some have said they prefer the Centri over the rest of Permagreen models because the spray pattern is wider than the Magnum and some have the Spyker fert hopper witch is superior to the Lesco style on the other ones. I believe most will tell you to get the Centri.
Turfdawg, you'd have to do a search on here to find it but there was someone who said that the bottom portion (the part with the forward pto shaft) of the engine you currently have could be joined with the upper portion(piston,flywheel etc..) of a current briggs model.

RigglePLC

LawnSite Fanatic
Ted is right. I recall that discussion. Big problem when Briggs doesn't make a replacement motor.

Also, in my opinion, the power take off shaft may not be needed. It should be possible to power the spinner by attaching a rubber coupler to the top of the shaft on which the large drive pulley is mounted. Naturally it probably would not line up perfectly so you may need to unbolt and shift the hopper back or forward a few millimeters (and then drill new holes.) The flexible coupling like their Lovejoy coupling would be helpful here. I am not sure if the spin speed would be suitable. I estimate a 8 to 1 reduction from the size of the respecful pullies so that a spinner speed of about 450 rpm would be attained.
Orange County Choppers could handle the conversion. (Should it be necessary).

Does anybody know what spinner speed is optimal?