• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

Diiesel or Not?

MOturkey

LawnSite Silver Member
I'm planning on buying a new mower before the season starts to replace my oldest Gravely. I am considering trying one of the new Pro Turn models, but have some issues with the deck lift compared to the hydraulic system on the 260's I have been running for several years.

That brings me back to another 260, with which I've been quite satisfied. When talking to my dealer, he told me he "thinks" he ordered a diesel 260 because of a special promo they had if you bought so many mowers. He normally doesn't stock diesels because of the price difference. Anyway, he told me he could sell me the diesel for around $1,500 more than a gas model. I have never seriously considered a diesel before because of the tremendous difference in price on the Gravely's (around $2,800 the last time I inquired).

I'm thinking that for only $1,500 difference, that is the way I should go. If you could buy a diesel version of your favorite mower for that price difference, would you do so?

SouthSide Cutter

LawnSite Bronze Member
Dont like them because of weight and cost. And I dont know why alot of people on here think they need all this big HP we have now. Just doesnt make much sense to me.

IntegrityGuy

LawnSite Senior Member
If you dont have a diesel truck theres no reason to buy a diesel mower. If you have a diesel truck it makes it easyer and less confusing when filling up truck and mower.

Diesel mowers dont always last longer than a gas. Its all maintance. A gas engine with proper maintence can last up to 2500hrs+. Diesel mowers engine can last longer but youll have the frame and deck, and all moving parts worn out before the engine dies. In a mower it is not neccesary because ill bet youll sell the mower before you get to 2500hrs

Lehighlawnpros

LawnSite Senior Member
Hi Neill,

We run Grasshopper 700 series outfront mowers.

For nearly 15 years we used the Kubota liquid-cooled gas engines with excellent results
(five to seven thousand hours+ per machine and average 1 gallon per hour fuel consumption).

For the past 1 1/2 years we've been using a Grasshopper 722D diesel (liquid-cooled Kubota D-902 engine @22HP).
Currently at 2,300 hours with an average .6 gallon per hour fuel consumption, and running as good as new.

I prefer the diesel and would buy another.
There's actually less maintenance with no ignition system to maintain, and extended oil change intervals (500 hours+ with bypass filtration).

Power/torque is excellent (even for mulching thick/wet St. Augustine).

And assuming 1,000 hours a year, we're saving $1,100+ per year in fuel cost.

Not all diesels are as fuel efficient as the D-902 but you should still realize a significant advantage over any comparable gas engine.

CAG80

LawnSite Member
Hi Neill,

We run Grasshopper 700 series outfront mowers.

For nearly 15 years we used the Kubota liquid-cooled gas engines with excellent results
(five to seven thousand hours+ per machine and average 1 gallon per hour fuel consumption).

For the past 1 1/2 years we've been using a Grasshopper 722D diesel (liquid-cooled Kubota D-902 engine @22HP).
Currently at 2,300 hours with an average .6 gallon per hour fuel consumption, and running as good as new.

I prefer the diesel and would buy another.
There's actually less maintenance with no ignition system to maintain, and extended oil change intervals (500 hours+ with bypass filtration).

Power/torque is excellent (even for mulching thick/wet St. Augustine).

And assuming 1,000 hours a year, we're saving $1,100+ per year in fuel cost.

Not all diesels are as fuel efficient as the D-902 but you should still realize a significant advantage over any comparable gas engine.

wow!!! .6 gph that is impressive..

SouthSide Cutter

LawnSite Bronze Member
The weight of a diesel on a Grasshopper is not as bad as a midmount. I just think they are to heavy on a midmount. My 29DFI is also .6 gal a hr and gas is cheaper here. But if it wasnt and it didnt get as good of a hr rate it would take you almost 3 yrs to save enough to pay the diff for the diesel.

OP
M

MOturkey

LawnSite Silver Member
Mo Turkey Are you going to the Spfd lawn and garden show?
I doubt if I do. Is it next week? I've only gone once, several years ago. I'm one of those people who doesn't get a whole lot of kick out of looking at stuff unless I am planning on buying it. :)

CAG80

LawnSite Member
The weight of a diesel on a Grasshopper is not as bad as a midmount. I just think they are to heavy on a midmount. My 29DFI is also .6 gal a hr and gas is cheaper here. But if it wasnt and it didnt get as good of a hr rate it would take you almost 3 yrs to save enough to pay the diff for the diesel.
I didnt think the efi /dfi got that kind of gph.. When I demoed the efi I thought I was at 1gph.