Dimension timing Coastal Southern Cal.

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Coachbob, Jan 4, 2018.

1. Coachbob

Coachbob LawnSite Member

Howdy all
    Baseball fields were seeded with Perennial Rye in late November. Was hoping to put down dimension in coming weeks and trying to figure out best timing considering the late overseeding and climate conditions we have. Label says Ryegrass is both tolerant and also suppressed so I'm a little confused. We often have to reseed high traffic areas, so is this the best product for crabgrass pre-control?

Thanks much.

Coach

2. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Dimension should work fine. Apply about the day of the first mowing of the ryegrass.
    But for later overseeding of damaged areas...good question, Coach. This needs an experiment. Perhaps perennial ryegrass has a strong seedling--so perhaps it can punch through the Dimension layer. Use the low rate, of course.
    Tupersan (siduron) crabgrass control (from Scotts) is safe for new seed, but it does not last as long as Dimension. Considering the heavy foot traffic, there is a good chance you will have to use Drive as a post-emergent crabgrass control--safe for new seed.

Coachbob likes this.
  3. Coachbob

Coachbob LawnSite Member

Thank you, helpful as always Riggle. I'm recalling the high traffic areas are not as susceptible to crabgrass and wonder if I can skip over those areas or if that will affect the barrier nearby.

4. Jscoop

Jscoop LawnSite Member

I believe the Label says you can spray 8 weeks after seeding. Depending where you are, you may be a little early to get crabgrass control. I'm in Florida and usually spray pre-emergents in mid to late February.

Coachbob likes this.
  5. Coachbob

Coachbob LawnSite Member

Preparing to put down dimension for crabgrass and spring annual control. Noticed a lot of white clover (i think), Yarrow, and some plantain when i mowed. The Clover is very fast growing and taking over some areas since overseeding.
    Is there a specific sequence for treating these weeds, applying pre-emergent and fertilizer? Ground temp is running about 52-55 right now.
    Thank you.

6. RigglePLC

Do you have a photo of that clover? If your daytime temps are above--I would say about 50 F--yes, you can spray clover and other broadleaf weeds. Probably a good time to apply crabgrass control, too. Treat broadleaf weeds when they are young and tender.
    Broadleaf spray, pre-emergent for crabgrass, and fertilizer will not interfere with each other.

7. Coachbob

Coachbob LawnSite Member

AA5A3229-46EE-4505-827B-8D4EDBAD5998.jpeg
    This is from a while ago but i think it’s the same. I’ll have to shoot another tomorrow to be sure.
    I sprayed some speed zone on this and the yarrow in a few areas and the yarrow and a bit of sheeps sorrel (i think)started to die, but the clover stuff is hanging in. That was 6 days ago. I believe speedzone is an ester.

8. RigglePLC

Thanks--looks like clover to me. But the west coast may have some different species. Speedzone should work--I think. For a good "take", look for stems curved and a few of the leaves turned upside down or at an unnatural angle. Wait two weeks to determine how it worked.
    A surfactant might help--about 1 percent in the tank. If you have to treat again--use the maximum allowed rate with the Speedzone and add surfactant. Surfactant helps to wet the clover leaves which are downward-slanted and waxy--they repel water.
    You are only allowed two treatments per year of 2,4-D products, as you know.

A non-2,4-D product with triclopyr is a good choice. But not on Bermuda. Triclopyr is highly effective on clover and some of the tough weeds. Low odor, and low toxicity.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
    Coachbob likes this.
  9. Coachbob

Coachbob LawnSite Member

DF9F5955-ED56-4EC9-90B3-1F2BE2467677.jpeg A 0986304B-6153-47C5-AFAF-FF7BF703F758.jpeg thanks again Riggle. Here are pics from yesterday. Yarrow going down pretty easily. Not sure if the clover is black medic maybe?

10. RigglePLC