• Landscape Lighting Design: Bright Ideas
    With outdoor spaces more popular than ever, lighting these landscapes may be your next opportunity. Click here to learn more.

Direct bury wire really necessary?

Champak

LawnSite Member
Naive question. If I'm directly burying a wire, is a "direct bury" wire REALLY necessary vs a plastic jacket wire? No sun exposure, 8" down why do I need a "special" wire?

Thanks.

greendoctor

LawnSite Fanatic
Not only do you want direct bury, you also want that wire in conduit. I am not responsible for irrigation or landscape lighting wire thrown into a shallow trench and not in conduit that is then strung across lawns or through landscape beds.

Youngandfree

LawnSite Senior Member
Yes. You should not bury any kind of wire not rated for it unless you like doing crap work. UV exposure isnt the only thing tha damages wire. Moisture in the ground is just as big of a concern. As well as the jacket being much thicker to account for knicks from a shovel since you can't see it until you uncover it. Nevermind frost heaves and root growth pushes wire around in the ground.

21 year telecom tech with years of experience locating and repairing damaged buried wires.

greendoctor

LawnSite Fanatic
That was learned the hard way by facing upset customers told that their controller is no longer useful because tree roots or disruptions to the landscape have cut wires. Easy to not see Multistrand jacketed in black or else 14ga in red and white just thrown into the ground, not in at least 3/4" gray conduit

Shindaiwa_operator

LawnSite Bronze Member
Good thinking! In your case it may pay off eventually. I’ve never heard of anyone else that puts their wires for sprinklers inside conduit but probably because everyone here using vibratory plows for everything......well actually a local well drilling company did, they put the well wire from the house to the well inside a 1.5” water pipe and don’t ask how we found out .

greendoctor

LawnSite Fanatic
I do know of people that use SCH 40 white pipe to run wire. Bad practice. I use the gray pvc conduit or else the gray flex conduit assemblies to cover all wire up until it stubs back up into the valve box. My pickyness comes from having to deal with repair and service situations where wire was not placed in conduit.