Dirt moving estimate?

ShaneMullen

LawnSite Member
Hello All.
I am looking at a job where I move 5 yards of dirt from a front yard to a back yard. I don’t have all the details yet, but I have no idea how much to charge them. I have a wheel barrow and I would guess the trip is no more than 35 feet. Should I charge them by the project or hourly and how much?

Andrew H

LawnSite Gold Member
Charge for the project, and if you find a more efficient way to do it, you increase your hourly rate.

jonniesmooth

LawnSite Member
Is the dirt already there?
If so, why didn't they put it where it was supposed to go?
Too expensive?
Could anything else do the job?
Mini skid. Small tractor w/ loader?
Or no, only a wheelbarrow will fit?

OP
S

ShaneMullen

LawnSite Member
Is the dirt already there?
If so, why didn't they put it where it was supposed to go?
Too expensive?
Could anything else do the job?
Mini skid. Small tractor w/ loader?
Or no, only a wheelbarrow will fit?
1. Yes
2. No idea
3. No idea
4. No idea
5/6. I only have access to a wheelbarrow

kemco

LawnSite Fanatic
How big of a wheelbarrow you got? A Jackson is 6 cu ft level. And I can tell you that's heavy as hell. That's 5 trips per yard. Plus the labor of shoveling it. Is it compact? Has it been there a while? Or a fresh dump (LOL yes I know how that sounds). I'd probably be at least $500 maybe up to $750 if it's only 35 ft as you say and not compacted. I'm assuming you don't have a bob cat loader or anything like that and are doing it by hand. Which is odd because I can hire one of many companies to drop 5 yards of dirt for around $200 wherever I tell them to and they will come in with a dump truck.

OP
S

ShaneMullen

LawnSite Member
How big of a wheelbarrow you got? A Jackson is 6 cu ft level. And I can tell you that's heavy as hell. That's 5 trips per yard. Plus the labor of shoveling it. Is it compact? Has it been there a while? Or a fresh dump (LOL yes I know how that sounds). I'd probably be at least $500 maybe up to $750 if it's only 35 ft as you say and not compacted. I'm assuming you don't have a bob cat loader or anything like that and are doing it by hand. Which is odd because I can hire one of many companies to drop 5 yards of dirt for around $200 wherever I tell them to and they will come in with a dump truck.
Thank you. I’m a broke college student so I only have a shovel and wheelbarrow. It’s a project and they want me to move some into a fire pit area and a playground area. I’m pretty new to this so I really do appreciate the advice

jonniesmooth

LawnSite Member
I yard of dirt 2100#
200# in each wheelbarrow.
10 trips/ yard X 5= 50 trips
Plus loading each one and dumping
I'd say that's a full days work.
What do you need to earn a day?
$500? $700?
I could move that with my loader on my 1025r in a couple hours, if there is room for me to use it. I'd take $250 for the 2 hours.
Don't get me wrong I'd rather have $500

jonniesmooth

LawnSite Member
Thank you. I’m a broke college student so I only have a shovel and wheelbarrow. It’s a project and they want me to move some into a fire pit area and a playground area. I’m pretty new to this so I really do appreciate the advice
So your not just moving the pile?
Your spreading it too?
Add $300