Dirt moving estimate?

Mark Stark

LawnSite Fanatic
What am I missing here.....move a pile of dirt 35' away?? Probably 18 wheelbarrows per yd due to weight. It would take one of us at most 45 min to move 1 yard. Really it would take less. At best, this is 4 hours of work by hand. Charge $300.

Better yet, bring a buddy or two. Pay them $50 each. Easy Peazy

Mark Stark

LawnSite Fanatic
I could do that in 5 minutes with my skid steer. It’ll take several hours with a wheelbarrow. Pass on the job.
Well, yea we could do it in 15 min with TX1000 but this is a college kid who's broke and needs a few bucks. He doesn't have a Dingo. He should do the job and make the money. We wouldn't take this job which is exactly why a poor college kid should do it.

kemco

LawnSite Fanatic
And yeah if someone was already filling up the wheelbarrows. That's where a lot a lot of time will be spent. It ain't just wheelbarrowing the pile. Add in the time to shovel 10k to 12k pounds into wheelbarrows.

jonniesmooth

LawnSite Member
And yeah if someone was already filling up the wheelbarrows. That's where a lot a lot of time will be spent. It ain't just wheelbarrowing the pile. Add in the time to shovel 10k to 12k pounds into wheelbarrows.
And he isn't just dumping it in a pile in the back either.
They want it in specific areas to fill low spots and level. So I'm thinking not every load would be carried 35'.
If I could get in the back yard with my truck I could dump it right where they want it for $100/load. 2 yards at a time.

One of my original questions was " why didn't they get it delivered where they wanted it?"
Were they cheap and thought it was too expensive?

SilverPine

LawnSite Member
Everyone keeps saying skid steer, or why why was the pile not just dropped in the back.
Safe to assume there is a gate.

Charge what you feel would be worth it. If it takes longer than you expected, you know what to charge for next time.

jonniesmooth

LawnSite Member
Ok,let's work with what you have.
You're a college student.
So you should be relatively intelligent.
Ever read Tom Sawyer?

Do you have any friends?
Does one of their dad's have another wheelbarrow?
And maybe a landscape rake? Acouple more shovels?

Do the Friends want to make a few bucks?
Do they have any siblings?