Dirt roads

Discussion in 'Bidding, Estimating and Pricing' started by Jasburrito, May 21, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jasburrito

Jasburrito LawnSite Member

I have been turning down any work on dirt roads. I hate everything about them. There super hard on vehicles. I google search there address. If its on dirt i call them and explain the situation. How do you guys handle them? Thanks

2. scagman52

scagman52 LawnSite Senior Member

I have no problem with dirt roads. Just take it easy on them. You must have plenty of work in order to turn down jobs!

Cam15 likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    Jasburrito

Jasburrito LawnSite Member

I am only looking for my ideal customers. Things i am staying away from. Dirt roads, random houses in bfe, big yards, bumpy yards, lots of sticks and twigs there not willing to pay to get cleaned up, lots of dog poop, hills, cliffs, distance 10 miles. thanks.

Last edited: May 21, 2019
  4. dieselss

dieselss LawnSite Silver Member
    from NWI....

Dont forget they get everything all dirty, and that makes all the equipment look bad right?

Mark Oomkes, Cam15 and Jasburrito like this.
  5. Jay84

Jay84 LawnSite Member

I love dirt roads.a friend of mine hates dirt roads to lol he drives a Prius.

6. Mowing monkey.

Mowing monkey. LawnSite Senior Member

I’ve never been asked to mow on a dirt road. If you mean gravel roads we’ll I’ve only done an occasional cleanup on those with no routine jobs.

Andrew H and Mark Oomkes like this.
  7. GreenscapeCT

GreenscapeCT LawnSite Member

We don’t have many here, however, personally I would pass.

Yes harder on truck/trailer, but also just slows you down.

It’s hard to develop route density in a neighborhood of dirt roads. Most of those homes are not very close to each other. The person who typically wants to live in area of unimproved roads is usually not too concerned about their lawn.

I have passed on residentials with long dirt driveways.

Jasburrito likes this.
  8. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

why was my post deleted?

..anyways the thing i don't like about dirt roads is when they are muddy or when they have tiny rocks all in them and the truck tires pick them up and sling them into the paint of the truck. mud guards don't seem to help very much.

9. GreenscapeCT

GreenscapeCT LawnSite Member

Route density and targeted client are your best way to increase profits. Keep at it.

Jasburrito likes this.
  10. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

Hard to edge along a gravel road.

Mudly, m_ice and GreenscapeCT like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.