Dirty water heads

Discussion in 'Spray Heads & Rotors' started by LawnCruiser, Aug 13, 2019.

1. OP
    OP
    LawnCruiser

LawnCruiser LawnSite Member

Finally getting back to this, looking for some more advise.

Living in the northeast I need to winterize my system. I’m curious if fitting placement as well as swing pipe angle is important.

If My lateral is parallel to a slope, should the swing pipe be downhill so the water drains better when blowing out the system? Or uphill so water won’t pool in the sprinkler head connection?

For the same reason, should the fitting off the lateral be at the bottom of the pipe for drainage or off the top so the fitting won’t freeze?

I would imagine the 1” poly would be less likely to burst since it would have more room for expansion than a 1/2” pvc fitting, or a plastic sprinkler head.

Maybe I’m over thinking it but I would hate to fight split plumbing every year when it could have easily been avoided. Thanks for any help you can offer!

2. jdmccay

jdmccay LawnSite Member

We typically winterize with an air compressor. Hook on to the beginning of the mainline and open a hose bib or something at the end and blow air through it til you see no more water. Then open each lateral valve one by one for a couple of minutes. If you do it that way then none of the other stuff should matter.

If you're just going to drain it, then yes all of that will make a difference. The drain should be the lowest spot. And the heads should be above the lateral

3. OP
    OP
    LawnCruiser

LawnCruiser LawnSite Member

Thanks, I plan to blow it out but can’t imagine it gets everything. With all the elevation changes in my yard I think there may be quite a bit left even after using the compressor.

Since my mainline runs from the lowest point at the pond, do you recommend draining the system then blowing it out? My system is going to have 12 zones and 48 heads when I’m done, probably 1500+ feet of pipe.

4. jdmccay

jdmccay LawnSite Member

It gets a lot more than you think. If you open up the end of the mainline (I like installing hose bibs) and pump air until no more water is coming out, it should be good enough.

And then you can leave the pipe open when you unhook your pump for the winter anyway. You shouldn't have any major issues.

benhargreaves and LawnCruiser like this.