Lawn Care Forum banner
101 - 120 of 176 Posts
Welcome fresh cut. I like your interior set up. Why not just remove the lift gate, sell it, and build a dovetail.
Posted via Mobile Device
FINALLY, somebody knows how to treat a guy! Thanks for the welcome! :laugh:

Well, I was thinking about that and even got an estimate for the work but the bottom line (of the estimate) really didn't make sense since I also want/need a diesel, too.

Remember, I need a diesel for better fuel mileage and a dovetail for safety and convenience of equipment use.

The guy at the shop that I got the estimate from quoted me about about $1500 minus only about $200 for me giving them the lift gate and the hardware it comes with (hydraulic pump and electrical).

I concluded that it would just be cheaper for me to sell my truck and find an Isuzu NPR box truck with a dovetail already installed. Or find a cab and chassis and put a box w/ dovetail on it, because I found a guy selling just a dovetail box on Craigslist for $1k, it didn't include the truck or anything and he had 2 of them just sitting on the ground.

"you still have 2 units using a box truck. you have the box truck for work and a personal vehicle."

"using a truck and trailer i eliminate the need for a personal vehicle as the truck also serves as my personal vehicle."

yardguy28:

You need to stop being so anal to the cube van issue and applying your application, practices, desires, or needs to that of the OP. Your comparisons and arguments are baseless @ this point.
He already has a truck & trailer, wants to add a cube van for a "service application" addition.
Where does a "personal vehicle" enter his needs or the equation in any logical manner ?
So it isn't your cup of tea or ability to think outside the box, leave it @ that.
Sounds like your entire existence is wrapped up in your truck & trailer affection.
:nono:

I'm shaking my head, here. You're giving him/it legs.... just let it be.

People don't realize that they expose themselves for who they really are. In this thread alone, a certain person has shown themselves to be complacent, incompetent, argumentative, and small-minded.

We, as successful business owners, must think objectively.....outside the box at times in order to accomplish goals and reach new plateaus.

That guy, :rolleyes:, clearly isn't reaching for any of the same things we are.

Well, I was going to tell you I like your truck but now you made me mad. :laugh: Just kidding, you better not try a Ferris you will be throwing rocks at your exmark. :laugh:

How many miles and how much are you asking for your box truck?
Cool beans!

The truck has 233k on it now and I'm asking $5,300 for it. It's had an engine rebuild at 125k I was told. I looked it over before I bought it and it looks to have had a good amount of new parts put on it, mind you all this was prior to me getting it. I bought it with 206k.

Yardguy,

Hopefully your keeping detailed mileage reports on your truck seeing as you don't have a true personal vehicle. Uncle Sam doesn't like when you claim personal mileage.
Posted via Mobile Device
yes of course i keep detailed mileage reports on my truck. at the end of the season i turn in my mileage to the accountant for my taxes.

I need to point out to you that it's easier for someone to steal an enclosed trailer, especially one that's just sitting and not currently hooked to a truck, than it is an entire truck.

I also need to point out to Administrators and/or Moderators that we need an "ignore" feature added to this forum. *(I really did read the entire thread before posting)
well since my trailer is always hooked to my truck except on the day or 2 that i am off i don't need to worry about that. not to mention it is extremely locked up.

i have a gorilla lock on it every day for the latch that keeps the trailer on the ball and i put that on when its not hooked up and i have a tongue lock that fits inside the tongue so you can't even drop the trailer on a ball. i also have all 3 doors locked with master locks. and when not hooked up its in my backyard out of view from the general public.

what makes you think i didn't read the entire thread before posting? because i have followed this thread from the very first post.

i am partaking in a debate about the advantages/disadvantages to a box truck. and IMO theren't aren't any advantages, certainly not over a truck/trailer combo.

what makes you think i didn't read the entire thread before posting? because i have followed this thread from the very first post.

i am partaking in a debate about the advantages/disadvantages to a box truck. and IMO theren't aren't any advantages, certainly not over a truck/trailer combo.
Lot's of advantages to box trucks, you just glossed over them. Won't rehash them here, you can re-read the whole thread with a open mind.:rolleyes:

Lot's of advantages to box trucks, you just glossed over them. Won't rehash them here, you can re-read the whole thread with a open mind.:rolleyes:
is this one of those i'm right your wrong, my word is golden and if you don't agree with me your stupid attitudes?

in my honest open minded opinion i do not think box trucks offer a single advantage over a truck/trailer combo.

that is just my opinion which i am intitled to. there isn't anything i can't do with my truck/trailer that i could do if i had a box truck.

i read the entire thread and i didn't find one thing in my own personal opinion that would ever make me want a box truck.

I think for most a box truck is a no brainer it may not work for everyone.

I'm going to start a new thread in the truck/trailer section, I wish some of you that use them would respond there.

We do plan to get a box truck so I would like to here from guys that use them or anyone that knows anything about them.

I think for most a box truck is a no brainer it may not work for everyone.

I'm going to start a new thread in the truck/trailer section, I wish some of you that use them would respond there.

We do plan to get a box truck so I would like to here from guys that use them or anyone that knows anything about them.
do you think i'll ignore your thread and posts there.......:laugh:

is this one of those i'm right your wrong, my word is golden and if you don't agree with me your stupid attitudes?

in my honest open minded opinion i do not think box trucks offer a single advantage over a truck/trailer combo.

that is just my opinion which i am intitled to. there isn't anything i can't do with my truck/trailer that i could do if i had a box truck.

i read the entire thread and i didn't find one thing in my own personal opinion that would ever make me want a box truck.
boy i haven't said a thing on this but a friend of my has one and he loves it. maybe it just not for you but it is for some

boy i haven't said a thing on this but a friend of my has one and he loves it. maybe it just not for you but it is for some
i'm sure it is for some. but the thread started out being about the advantages/disadvantages of a box truck.

i simply posted my opinion that i don't see an advantage over a truck/trailer rig. just to give the OP something to think about.

now it seems to be about yardguy is wrong because box trucks 100% absolutely have an advantage over truck/trailer rigs.

it just gets old listening to the people who think its there way or no way, that there words are golden. and they try and insinuate that i'm being that way as well. when all i'm doing is posting my personal opinion.

if anyone on here wants to have a box truck go for it. i could care less. but i personally don't think box trucks are the way to go. that was what my original post in this thread was suppose to be. i wouldn't advize anyone to go that route.

Oh the hypocracy of that last post yardguy.
Posted via Mobile Device

i'm sure it is for some. but the thread started out being about the advantages/disadvantages of a box truck.

i simply posted my opinion that i don't see an advantage over a truck/trailer rig. just to give the OP something to think about.

now it seems to be about yardguy is wrong because box trucks 100% absolutely have an advantage over truck/trailer rigs.

it just gets old listening to the people who think its there way or no way, that there words are golden. and they try and insinuate that i'm being that way as well. when all i'm doing is posting my personal opinion.

if anyone on here wants to have a box truck go for it. i could care less. but i personally don't think box trucks are the way to go. that was what my original post in this thread was suppose to be. i wouldn't advize anyone to go that route.
The advantage of open trailers was already mentioned-handling loose debris. If a LCO doesn't haul away grass clippings or leaves the open trailer has no advantage only disadvantages vs box trucks.

I think a new thread should be started for people who already own box trucks and use them so we all can get good feedback information and usage ideas. Trailer pullers NEED NOT REPLY.:waving:

I run an Isuzu NPR 16' box for our mowing crew. When they gather leaves and debris it's always in bags for ease of movement. We pile the bags at the front so we can still get equipment in and out. It's not that difficult.

On huge advantage is shown in the picture above. You have a 16' x 8' ROLLING BILBOARD. Yes you can do the same with a cargo trailer but you go back to the disadvantages of a trailer.

We have a truck and trailer to handle material movement when needed. If you have a cargo trailer you still need an open trailer for material obviously. Why not have a box truck and truck and trailer so you can run two different directions? You can't pull two trailers with one truck.

These are some observations from someone that has a variety of truck applications.
Posted via Mobile Device

The advantage of open trailers was already mentioned-handling loose debris. If a LCO doesn't haul away grass clippings or leaves the open trailer has no advantage only disadvantages vs box trucks.

I think a new thread should be started for people who already own box trucks and use them so we all can get good feedback information and usage ideas. Trailer pullers NEED NOT REPLY.:waving:
I agree 100%, I started a new thread in the tuck and trailer section, I guess I should have started it here.

Here is the link to the other thread. http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=332484

We use a truck and 20' enclosed trailer and plan to switch to a box truck. We don't haul away clipping or leaves so this is not a concern.

We do have a 16' open trailer with 4' sides on it. We use this trailer for mulch and other things that the enclosed trailer won't work for and plan to do the same when we get a box truck.

yes those advantages/disadvantages were already mentioned and i happen to disagree with those statements and don't see what was mentioned making a box truck an advantage over a truck/trailer rig.

secondly i run an enclosed trailer. hauling all debris in my truck bed. so any statement regarding open trailers doesn't apply in my thinking. i do have an open 5 x 10 with 4 foot side walls for large jobs. but it is rarely used.

if i didn't do any hauling of grass or leaves i still would pick the truck/trailer rig over a box truck. as already stated in my previous posts. i don't want to sound like a broken record, which i'm sure i already do but you couldn't give me a box truck for free to use in my business. i would turn around and sell it and either put the money in my business account, upgrade equipment, or upgrade my enclosed trailer.

opps i'm a trailer puller and i replied.........:drinkup:

Bruno, I'm looking at used ones. They seem to be cheaper than pickups, and the trailer is built in saving the cost of an enclosed.

I can't park my trailer at home, so that's no different.

I'm not trying to be rude, just breaking down what would actually be a disadvantage. Only one bothering me is the ability to haul clippings.Posted via Mobile Device
thats so simple, when you have that need haul a trailer behind, when you dont need it just use the box truck, thats what I am planning for next year

101 - 120 of 176 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.