Lawn Care Forum banner

disapering kio

3K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  zim bob the landscaper 
#1 ·
yesterday i went out and bought two kio for my new pond i put them in and this morning i woke up and there gone WHAT COULD OF HAPPEND AND WHAT DO I DO :realmad: :realmad: :angry: :angry:

THANKS

#2 ·
If they were small fish, say 4" or under, likely culprits are a water snake or a big bullfrog.

If they were bigger, possible culprits are racoons, herons, possoms.

A lot of folks will put a plastic mesh over the pond. This will work for birds & varmits, but does nothing for snakes.

#4 ·
they were 4 to 5'' long and theres on snakes or frogs in the pond yet

i was think that it was racoons, skunks, or a herron i never thought about possems What should i do to get rid of the pests

THANKS ALOT

#7 ·
yes we are talking about koi

#11 ·
zim bob the landscaper said:
yesterday i went out and bought two kio for my new pond i put them in and this morning i woke up and there gone WHAT COULD OF HAPPEND AND WHAT DO I DO :realmad: :realmad: :angry: :angry:

THANKS
Up where you live, I would think that the racoons would have a nice little party with those rascals. Sort of like "night fishin".

#12 ·
Ok Just An Idea............go To Wally World And Get A Few Big El Cheapo Goldfish...............sit Up All Night In A Well Concealed Spot With A .22 Rifle With A Night Scope.., And Oh Yeah, If U Got A Cat You Might Wanna Take Him In The House. Worse Yet , If Its A Skunk, Dont Move And Definitely Dont Shoot !!

#14 ·
it is probably a blue heron. They can clean you out, I had the same problem. I bought a plastic decoy of a blue heron and placed it by the pond overlooking the water. Looks natural and solved my problem. Seems blue herons are territorial and will stay away if they see another. Add some under water grass, this will help put oxygen in the water and provide refuge.

#15 ·
Had the same thing happen this June and I found a very large bullfrog in the pond that I think was the culprit.

#16 ·
do you have plants?
how deep is your pond?
do you have large rock in the pond?
it takes a koi awhile to get used to their new pond and could hide for days,
if you have some plants in the pond that will help them hide from heroins. Does your pond have staright sides (like a swimming pool) if it is sloped like and aquascapes pond? if it has straight sides it was most likely a heroin, if it has sloped sides with rocks it was most likely a raccoon, Aslo if it was a racoon the pond would be thrashed, plants torn up, rocks moved, and the pond would just be a mess.
second koi cannot be frozen then thawed out and survive. The can however handle freezin water, just not FROZEN water.

#17 ·
i have lots of rocks big rocks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.