1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, in the Franchising forum.

Dismiss Notice

Disappointed with shinduawa hedge trimmer

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by ed2hess, Nov 19, 2013.

1. Breezmeister

Breezmeister LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from South Jersey

Don't mean to insult any one with that question. But when I read about guys only sharpening their mowers once a month, makes me wonder how their other equipment gets abused.....

I would agree with you on that, get rid of it.

I know what you mean by that :dizzy:

2. dboyd351

dboyd351 LawnSite Bronze Member

3. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I got the replacement housing and no change.. ignor where I cut the housing to make it easy to get the bevel gear and bearings out.

This picture shows the breakage of the $50 housing.

... 20131212_152038.jpg

I cut a piece of Vermeer digger handling belt and used the aluminum strip off c-clamp. I didn't want this to be too rigid.

20131212_152052.jpg

It is apparent that you can put a lot of force out at the tip if you use it to drag cut off branches out after cutting.
    20131212_152103.jpg
    This is protype so give me comments.

20131212_152038.jpg

20131212_152052.jpg

20131212_152103.jpg

4. dboyd351

I like it!!!

Now explain to your guys why you had to do that.

5. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I used it to cut some dead lantana and it was quickly apparent how you can load up tip. I generally cut then stop blades and use tip to pull cut pieces together on a pile. :rolleyes:

6. dboyd351

Personally, I'd take that safety tip off it, if it's anything like the ones I've used.

I swing mine back and forth as a clearing tool to cut thru tangles of greenbriar, blackberry, wild grape, etc. That safety tip hangs up constantly using it that way. Once I took it off, the problems were greatly diminished.

7. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I take those off also hard to use with my it on.

8. jkilov

jkilov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MS

I think short shafted units come with guards and long shafted don't. Either way I don't like them, they're supposed to prevent your fingers getting cut off, but don't protect against many other injuries.