Discounts for Miltary veterans, Police officers and Fire fighter?

Discussion in 'Bidding, Estimating and Pricing' started by Cam15, May 23, 2019.

1. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

I can't say I disagree with you. Volunteer\paid on call firefighters generally work a full time job plus give of their time to help their communities. Not saying that warrants a discount. I didn't do it to receive discounts. Or be a hero. Buddy of mine talked me into it, I applied, was hired and did it for 25 years. I enjoyed helping people. I miss that part of it. I don't miss much else of it. I was paid on call, didn't do it to get rich either.

I also knew what I signed up for as does every firefighter or LEO. If they're doing the job for a discount or to be a hero or the "glory", they need to find a different job.

TomH&H, RussellB and Tara Ann like this.
  2. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

In order to mark things down, they would have to be marked up in the first place.

In the service industry there’s no big buffer like furniture or jewelry which can often be marked up 1000%

In this industry 10% is the norm... so landscapers should work for military and firefighters for free?

Cam15 and hort101 like this.
  3. TPendagast

Male

This

RussellB likes this.
  4. TPendagast

Male

I live in a military town.
    Statistics show that per capita there is more retired/separated military in anchorage than any other US city (that’s really hard to believe If you’ve ever been to Fayetteville NC)

JBER is a big base
    I have about 100 properties on base we do for the housing authority.
    Vacant units, DSP (deployed spouses programs), General officers quarters...
    By far I have DSP priced the lowest
    We still make bank because they live in such tight neighborhoods with such low traffic and we can often ride the mower to hit 4 or more per shot.

If you’re an occupier not on deployment you have to run your own mowing, which means you do it yourself or pay for yourself.

So I run officers quarters at $100 a pop and enlisted at $35 ($45) if we have to do back yards (they’re small and gated and usually full of wolfhounds)

All those are really good prices compared to town... but that’s actually because of how tight and orderly the neighborhoods are.

Bear in mind just to get on base you need security clearances for employees; visa workers or green cards aren’t allowed on; and you have to wait in line every day to get on base to be inspected by bomb sniffing dogs.

So technically - they should be more expensive than off Post..
    But again, this “discount” is only because of the tight, orderly neighborhoods and diminutive nature of the yards (a 48” walker will do a front lawn in under 5 minutes, double cut) ... if you did all four front lawns in a four plex it’s something like 12 minutes, just easier to ride right across at higher speed than turn around in tight areas to stay on one property.

5. TPendagast

Male

IMO firefighters and cops can bite it.
    They’re two of the biggest part time competitors to full time pros.. want a discount? Ask your buddy with his part time business

MattZ28, Mark Stark, Cam15 and 2 others like this.
  6. Tara Ann

Tara Ann LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

I stopped reading (will continue after this post). We offer a 5% discount to the local VFW if they pay for the whole season up front. "Early Bird Discounts," were offered to all of our clients for paying for the whole season up front (3% for every client other than the VFW). We no longer offer this discount.

Cam15, RussellB and hort101 like this.
  7. Mark Oomkes

LOL...good point.

Cam15, RussellB and Tara Ann like this.
  8. Mark Oomkes

One other point...if it weren't for the TAXPAYERS, the military would be no place.

Cam15 likes this.
  9. Tara Ann

Tara Ann LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

I am located in the rural Midwest, and only the Fire Chief in our town is salaried. Everybody else is there on a volunteer basis. I do get your point, however.

This. So. Much. This.
    The veterans in the local veterans' home love to be visited. They love to tell stories. They love seeing children. They love having baked goods delivered to them. They love being pushed outside in their wheelchairs. The best investment you can make, ever, is your time.

hort101 and Cam15 like this.
  10. Jay84

Jay84 LawnSite Member

No military would be no taxpayers.

Cam15 likes this.