Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every time I go to buy something I feel like the guy is sizing me up and typing in whatever he thinks I will pay. I thinks I am going to switch to an online supplier who will give me contractor pricing up front so I can price my jobs accuratly based on what I know it will cost me. I have heard others here use FOLD and Terradeck. Maybe I will check them out. I bought a complete system today and after asking him why some of the stuff was alot more than I thought it would be he adjusted the pricing on a few and lowered the bill around $100. I am happy to save a hundred bucks but I don't like doing business like that.

What do guys think?

TDF

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
I'm just getting into lighting so I will be watching this thread. There isn't any "dealers" in my town so I need to look else where.

·
Registered
883 Posts
tdf, plm,
Check out both of the distributors you listed. I use Terradek mostly as they are only 3-4 hours away from me so I usually recv my orders in 1-2 days and no shipping charge. plm that might work great for you also as they are located in Minnesota.
Keep in mind that whoever you decide to go with ,and others i'm sure, that they also may have different price tiers depending on how much you buy from them and if you belong to any mutual associations. Ask them.

Good Luck!
Keith

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't mind the tier thing because I will charge the customer based on what I pay. My biggest complaint is the pricing not being consistent and being based on the whim of the guy behind the counter that day.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
I don't mind the tier thing because I will charge the customer based on what I pay. My biggest complaint is the pricing not being consistent and being based on the whim of the guy behind the counter that day.
Maybe he was giving you level 1 discount then after you said something he moved it to a level 2?

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
Any distributor should be able to give you a price sheet, or at least let you know what your multiplier is going to be. My distributor charges me a percentage of Manufacturer's Suggested Retail. Therefore, I know what each item is going cost by simply looking at the price sheet and multiplying my rate. If they don't have a retail price sheet to provide you, then work up a mock up order for every fixture you might use in the future. Get them to quote that order, then you can keep that sheet as a reference. I would also suggest that you sit down with the branch manager to discuss your pricing. The more you buy from them, the more leverage you will have later down the road. Your not going to have too much of a voice in the beginning, but once you start making 10k per month in purchases they will be more inclined to work harder to keep your business with them.
As a side note, I would advise that you find a good distributor and stick with them. If you flip-flop between several vendors, then you won't gain momentum with any of them.

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
Any distributor should be able to give you a price sheet, or at least let you know what your multiplier is going to be. My distributor charges me a percentage of Manufacturer's Suggested Retail. Therefore, I know what each item is going cost by simply looking at the price sheet and multiplying my rate. If they don't have a retail price sheet to provide you, then work up a mock up order for every fixture you might use in the future. Get them to quote that order, then you can keep that sheet as a reference. I would also suggest that you sit down with the branch manager to discuss your pricing. The more you buy from them, the more leverage you will have later down the road. Your not going to have too much of a voice in the beginning, but once you start making 10k per month in purchases they will be more inclined to work harder to keep your business with them.
As a side note, I would advise that you find a good distributor and stick with them. If you flip-flop between several vendors, then you won't gain momentum with any of them.
Great post Chris. This is how it should be done!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I use Clarolux 90% of the time. They almost always get the order out the same day (I know because I get the email from UPS). Their products are awesome, and I definitely save money. If I need a specialty light or something they dont care, I buy from FOLD.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.