Ditch the hitch

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by luckylawns.wf, Jan 13, 2020.

1. luckylawns.wf

luckylawns.wf LawnSite Member

I have used a 16’ enclosed for the past 4 seasons. Always having to have the axels worked on.

i have a guy in Ft. Worth that will build me a bed for one of my trucks like the open landscape NPR/Isuzu trucks have.

The truck Id put it on is 5.9 Cummins 2007 Dodge 2500 Crewcab.

My concern is: Will my truck handle the weight of a toro push, 36” Wright stander, 60” Gravely PT 460 and all handhelds, fuel, etc? The setup would also switch over to only handhelds and 2 Gravely PT 460’s one day per week for our large property mowing.

2. ARN Greencare

ARN Greencare LawnSite Senior Member

I wouldn't on a 3/4 ton. The narrow width and lack of two extra tires...

What keeps happening to your trailer axles? I have never replaced a trailer axle, only serviced them. Only people I see replacing axles either hit something like a culvert and bend them, or never service them and burn a bearing after many years of use...

AlohaMowing, Cam15 and Mdirrigation like this.
  3. caseysmowing

caseysmowing LawnSite Silver Member

Nope! 1 ton would still be pushing it.

ARN Greencare likes this.
  4. dieselss

dieselss LawnSite Silver Member
    from NWI....

Define axle problems?

5. rippinryno

rippinryno LawnSite Silver Member

he's probably talking about wheel bearings. I've never had an axle problem, been through a few wheel bearings.

I also would have to ask what "servicing" an axle refers too? I don't service my axles, the bearings are sealed, I will ocassionally pop the covers to make sure there's grease, but I rarely add much. Most of the time people who like to grease their wheel bearings end up popping the seals off when they go down the road and things warm up.

6. rclawn

rclawn LawnSite Bronze Member

If you got a 1 ton dually I could see it, that’s awful heavy for a 2500 though

Cam15 likes this.
  7. ARN Greencare

ARN Greencare LawnSite Senior Member

Your axles are not sealed. The seal is mainly for dust, and the cap has no sealing material between the cap and hub, just metal to metal. If you are popping off seals you are packing too much grease in the hub. I pull apart my hubs and clean out all the old grease, inspect bearings closely, pack bearings with fresh grease, coat spindle shaft/hub/all parts with enough grease to prevent rust, install new seals, set pre load, install required keepers and dust cap. Axle is serviced...

Mark Oomkes and Crazy 4 grass like this.
  8. OP
    OP
    luckylawns.wf

luckylawns.wf LawnSite Member

I had the trailer built out of Georgia. My front axle has shifted over and the front drivers tire rubs the trailer and had caused a blowout.

9. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

We go through ours every year, Bearing Buddy or not. Usually replace the backing plates\shoes as well since it's cheaper than doing shoes and a magnet and screwing with the springs.

10. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

Crew cab 2500 isn't going to have a long enough frame to carry that much equipment, much less GVWR.