• PPP The Second Time Around
    The Emergency Coronavirus Relief Act of 2020 passed in December contained $284 billion for the renewed Paycheck Protection Program (PPP). Click here to read the article.

Ditch Witch Mini-x

turfquip

LawnSite Senior Member
Saw these at Expo, played around with one for a while. The styling reminded me of Yanmar. Anybody know anything about these? I know the Ditch Witch 'brand' is well respected and established...

Then, in general terms regarding these micro and mini machines,
How much horsepower would it take to dig out say... a 16" oak tree stump in Midwest hardpan clay...and let's say you had about 30 minutes or less to get it done?

Dirty Water

LawnSite Fanatic
You could do it with a 30 horse mini...I've dug many stumps out. I can't speak for the DW Mini-X's, but we own three ditchwitch plow/trenchers, and they are incredibly well built.

Scag48

LawnSite Fanatic
You could probably dig that out in 30 mins. depending on how far the roots went out from the stump itself.

Scag48

LawnSite Fanatic
A 17 HP excavator is a powered shovel. They're almost useless unless space is REALLY an issue. There isn't many places we can't put a 7,500 pound 5 foot wide machine with zero tail swing.

r1rage

LawnSite Member
iowacatman said:
Ditch Witch mini is made by a company in Italy. Not a bad looking machine. Talked to a DW rep last month, said they were a little slow getting off the ground with distribution and sales.
They are actually made by Komatsu especially for DW. Not italian made cause if they were, they would painted Ferrari Red!

Dirty Water

LawnSite Fanatic
r1rage said:
They are actually made by Komatsu especially for DW. Not italian made cause if they were, they would painted Ferrari Red!
If theres a tag on the machine that says "Charles Machine Works", then its a good ol made in USA ditchwitch.

Bill Eh

LawnSite Member
Scag48 said:
A 17 HP excavator is a powered shovel. They're almost useless unless space is REALLY an issue. There isn't many places we can't put a 7,500 pound 5 foot wide machine with zero tail swing.
Basically that's what all excavators are. Powered shovels. Some are bigger and some are smaller and each is matched better for certain tasks. I have a 17 HP Kubota. I've never dug a stump of that dimension or tree species so I can't add much in terms of how long it would take but I know the 17 HP will do the job. It will dig a hole 7 feet deep and 16 feet across without any trouble. The break out force is about 1/2 or less than the 7000# machine so you can't break as big a root. I'd like to hear others experiences time wise with a 17 HP machine on a stump that size.