1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, in the Franchising forum.

Dismiss Notice

ditch witch zahn

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by P.Services, Sep 22, 2008.

1. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

has any one bought, demoed or used a zahn?

if so what did you think?

2. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

demoed one w/ a plow liked it a lot, would be great if you work on established landscapes frequently. I put some photos somewhere in the irrigation forum. I don't however like gas engines, all my other equip is diesel and I hate having to bring an extra tank.

3. P.Services

yeah im thinking i would use it a lot with a light material bucket to do mulch. i could use one zahn instead of 4 guys and wheelbarrows. im thinking with turf tires it wouldnt do any damage.

it doesnt work as hard as a sk650 like yours but it has its own little niche.

in the winter im thinking it would clear sidewalks with a broom faster then 5 guys with shovels.

4. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

i agree totally, they have dual wheels as an option... go for the redneck factor!

5. hardscaper

hardscaper LawnSite Member
    from us

We use a tracked machine, actually six of them for the same thing. Carries 13 cu/ft of mulch, self loading,more manoeuvarable then zahn, fits through a 34" gate opening. Diesel powered. We've been running them for 8 years, no issues.

DCP_0459.JPG

6. P.Services

that looks like a gas powerd honda to me. thats a totaly diffrent machine then a zahn

7. hardscaper

from us

Correct on both accounts. We have gas and diesel units, diesel pic attached. We demoed the Zahn but it is too big for our backyard work and no tracks=no good for us.

crusherLOADER.jpg

8. P.Services

what is that your loading into? a small screener?

9. hardscaper

from us

It's a crusher, but it's not mine.

10. P.Services

yeah i figured that, it looks like its at a demo convention