• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

Dixie chopper left side won't drive.

nickmell

LawnSite Member
I just picked up a 2002 xw2500 dixie chopper that the left side wheel won't drive. The guy I bought it from said it was working fine and then the left side just stopped working.. linkages and everything check out and when you try to run the left side it whines like the pump is working and gives some chatter through the arm but doesn't move. My plan is to rebuild the pump or wheel motor and get it going but I'm not sure which to start with. Since I'm getting some feedback and sounds from the pump I'm leaning toward wheel motor but figured I'd ask and see if anyone has a way to diagnose without pulling them both apart.

I work out of town during the week and haven't had time to dive into it yet but would like to get some parts ordered so I can work on it next weekend. If it stops raining tonight I'm going to try bleeding the pump first but I don't think that's going to do much. Any suggestions?

hal

LawnSite Fanatic
Make sure the freewheel nut is tight. When was the last oil change? Hydro filter? Belt snug?

OP
N

nickmell

LawnSite Member
No idea when fluid if filter were last changed. I just checked and belt is tight, fluid was low but I added some to get it to proper height, jacked it up and ran it for a bit forward and back to bleed it. Had a couple small bubbles but nothing major, it will move very slowly in reverse on that side but forward has nothing.

BigFish

LawnSite Fanatic
You wanna get the shop manuals fer pump & motor. Each should have a number plate or sticker/ label on it. Wipe off and take pics/ write down. Post em . Should be able to Google the manuals. Study when ya can.

ARN Greencare

LawnSite Senior Member
Some of those Dixies had a "T" gear box to run the drives, and it was a common failure cause nobody would keep it full of lube.

TPendagast

LawnSite Fanatic
I just picked up a 2002 xw2500 dixie chopper that the left side wheel won't drive. The guy I bought it from said it was working fine and then the left side just stopped working.. linkages and everything check out and when you try to run the left side it whines like the pump is working and gives some chatter through the arm but doesn't move. My plan is to rebuild the pump or wheel motor and get it going but I'm not sure which to start with. Since I'm getting some feedback and sounds from the pump I'm leaning toward wheel motor but figured I'd ask and see if anyone has a way to diagnose without pulling them both apart.

I work out of town during the week and haven't had time to dive into it yet but would like to get some parts ordered so I can work on it next weekend. If it stops raining tonight I'm going to try bleeding the pump first but I don't think that's going to do much. Any suggestions?
Planned obsolescence
Now that everyone who bought Dixie is pot business they flipped a switch so they all will stop working ...

hdtvluvr

LawnSite Senior Member
Some of those Dixies had a "T" gear box to run the drives, and it was a common failure cause nobody would keep it full of lube.
So what kind of lube does it take? Do you fill to the rim?

I replaced the hydro oil and filters at 272 hours. I have an X2503-60 from 2004 with about 520 hours on the mower.

My right wheel seems to have less power than the left. It's really noticeable when going uphill. When you push both sticks all the way forward, it feels as if there is some slippage. If you back off the right stick a little, it seems to catch up. The belt appears to be tight because the idler puller arm is 90 deg. vertical. Can that be 90 deg. vertical and there still be slippage?

The freewheel nut (actually a threaded "bolt" with a hole in the end) appears tight on the right BUT if I turn it either way it won't turn smoothly. It sort of grinds. The one on the left works fine. Not sure what is up with the right one.

Last edited:

ARN Greencare

LawnSite Senior Member
So what kind of lube does it take? Do you fill to the rim?

I replaced the hydro oil and filters at 272 hours. I have an X2503-60 from 2004 with about 520 hours on the mower.

My right wheel seems to have less power than the left. It's really noticeable when going uphill. When you push both sticks all the way forward, it feels as if there is some slippage. If you back off the right stick a little, it seems to catch up. The belt appears to be tight because the idler puller arm is 90 deg. vertical. Can that be 90 deg. vertical and there still be slippage?

The freewheel nut (actually a threaded "bolt" with a hole in the end) appears tight on the right BUT if I turn it either way it won't turn smoothly. It sort of grinds. The one on the left works fine. Not sure what is up with the right one.

The gear box takes 80w90 gear oil. They sometimes have a label stating some special oil, but 80w90 is fine. It shouldn't make one side weak. Either it works or doesn't.