·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Model - 2012 Dixie Chopper Magnum 2250
Hydro Gear Model -
zu-kpee-3v0a-3jlx
ZT-3400

Recently while mowing with my Dixie Chopper, I experienced power loss in my left transaxle. I took my lawn mower to my local repair shop and they replaced the belt and said it was good.

I mowed with it once, everytime I take the brake off the left tire does not seem to release the brake. I moved it forward and backward and it releases. The mower worked fine and I parked it.

I went to mow with it a second time and it act similar to the first time I used it. I continued mowing and the left wheel locked up. I have read through the manual and I am considering taking the hydro gear it apart, but it seems parts are not readily available for repairs.

Any thoughts on attempting to repair?
Should I just replace it?

·
Registered
798 Posts
Hydros are highly machined units. It is not wise to disassemble them if you don’t know how to work on them. Hydrogear units aren’t really meant to be rebuilt, just replaced.

It sounds more like a brake problem anyway, not a failed hydro, but I can’t see your machine to know. I’d check the brake first and make sure that’s not the problem.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Parts are usually available.
I Never rebuilt one, but I have heard varying degrees of success.

Btw, I agree that sounds like a brake problem. I would make sure that it working before cracking open the hydros.

I would also make sure the pullies are in good shape, pullies wear out and the belt slips, then the hydros and pumps get the blame.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Parts are usually available.
I Never rebuilt one, but I have heard varying degrees of success.
Ive been into many hydro units. Much larger, much better and more robust units. And injection pumps on diesels. Machining is similar in both units. True hydro shops have air filtration systems because the units are so precisely machined that dirt in the air affects longevity. I know it’s a lawn mower and guys think these units can be rebuilt at home, but people who say that can’t even tell you how they work.

·
Registered
610 Posts
I agree, you need a clean room to rebuild it in, not something you would do on your garage floor or driveway.

Taryl has videos on repairing the hydro transaxles. It can be done, pay attention, keep it clean.

·
Registered
798 Posts
I agree, you need a clean room to rebuild it in, not something you would do on your garage floor or driveway.

Taryl has videos on repairing the hydro transaxles. It can be done, pay attention, keep it clean.
I didn’t watch the video, but it appears he is rebuilding/working on the gear section, not the hydrostatic pump/motor. That’s different. Two totally different things.

·
Registered
610 Posts
I didn’t watch the video, but it appears he is rebuilding/working on the gear section, not the hydrostatic pump/motor. That’s different. Two totally different things.
You should watch the video because he takes the pump apart and shows you where the parts wear out and make it not pump fluid.

Taryl fixes all. Never doubt Taryl.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Disconnect the brake. If it does turn out to be a hydro problem, it’ll have to be removed and torn down. You’ll know as soon as you remove the cover.
When there’s an internal failure, as that part deteriorates, the grinding go thoughout the system.
The filter will not catch everything, such as a separate pump and motor.
Sort if designed to fail major.
But, there’s no cheating with hydraulics.
And HydroGear products belong on toy cars. They are trash but cheap for oems
Thats all that matters.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you all for the replies. I am still working on getting everything put back together. I contacted hydro gear and purchased the seal kit it is part number 73239. I found this broken bracket that holds the transaxles in place and welded it. I believe this to be the root cause of the issue. Will update once I have everything back together.

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hydros are highly machined units. It is not wise to disassemble them if you don’t know how to work on them. Hydrogear units aren’t really meant to be rebuilt, just replaced.

It sounds more like a brake problem anyway, not a failed hydro, but I can’t see your machine to know. I’d check the brake first and make sure that’s not the problem.
I wish I would have focused more on this post it was related to brake due to it sitting at an angle due to the bracket being broke. It seemed that the brake paw was broke.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Everything is back together and operational. The tear down of the hydro gear is not for the faint of heart. I am IT guy and diy mechanic on my own equipment.
IT is my daytime job. Mowing grass is my part time job.

If you can think logically, and know how to troubleshoot you can fix almost anything.

The way I look at is some other idiot figures it out, I will also.

·
Registered
798 Posts
If you can think logically, and know how to troubleshoot you can fix almost anything.

The way I look at is some other idiot figures it out, I will also.
I disagree. But it seems engineers and IT guys usually think that. A lot of idiots can’t figure it out. Or worse, think they did. I’ve seen a lot of DIY guys repair stuff and then I had to fix it. Thought they knew what they were doing, or watched a YouTube vid of a guy who fixed it like that. Yeah. But whatever.

And hey, maybe your naturally gifted at figuring out and understanding concepts. Some people are. Vast majority ARE NOT.

·
Registered
610 Posts
I disagree. But it seems engineers and IT guys usually think that. A lot of idiots can’t figure it out. Or worse, think they did. I’ve seen a lot of DIY guys repair stuff and then I had to fix it. Thought they knew what they were doing, or watched a YouTube vid of a guy who fixed it like that. Yeah. But whatever.

And hey, maybe your naturally gifted at figuring out and understanding concepts. Some people are. Vast majority ARE NOT.
It's a lawn mower, not the space shuttle

·
Registered
798 Posts
It's a lawn mower, not the space shuttle
We aren’t talking about lawn mowers, we were discussing hydrostatic transmissions. This one only happens to be in a lawn mower. The engine in a lawn mower is also made of the same components as any other engine, just not as big or heavy. The principles used to solve problems in either a hydro or the engine are the same. Being in a lawn mower only makes it different in your mind. The principles of operation are exactly the same as it would be in a large machine with an engine and a hydro transmission. The hydro in a lawn mower is still a very precisely machined component.

Just out of curiosity, if your home air conditioner quits, do you fix it? Or call an HVAC guy?

I love that analogy btw. It’s so funny. Makes me laugh every time.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts