Dixie Chopper Wheel Wobble

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Axlerod2, Apr 17, 2013.

1. Axlerod2

Axlerod2 LawnSite Member

Anyone experiencing front wheel wobble at high speeds? Dixie Chopper wants to blame it on worn bearings, bent fork, terrain, loose bearings. This is a new mower and really don't see this as a reason. I believe like another guy on this site that the wheel doesn't set back far enough from the center point of the bearing. It's a design flaw.
    I'm sure Dixie Chopper does not want to re-tool the whole factory just to solve this problem. They want to call themselves the fastest lawnmower yet the frame doesn't support high speed. Sure, no one mows full throttle most of the time. There are times when you have a large area to mow with minimum amount of grass and lots of weeds and you want to get done.
    Does anyone else have different type mowers that do this? What about the Hustler Super Z? It's is a fast mower.

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

I'd like to see the model and serial number of this machine and the hours on it......

There's a reason for wheel wobble and it's not a design flaw, You can only position a wheel so far back on a caster before it rips turf up on turns.

What I've found on the couple I've ran across and other things that can cause it;

Bent fork
    Worn/loose fork bearings
    Worn/loose wheel bearings
    Bent/warped wheel
    Warped frame (jumping curbs)
    And lastly, Improper/varying tire air pressures both front and rear

The idea is to check it out and find out what's causing it instead of raving design flaw.......

3. OP
    OP
    Axlerod2

Axlerod2 LawnSite Member

Been there, done that got the T-shirt.

4. Greg78

Greg78 LawnSite Silver Member

So no on the model#, serial # and the # of hours? Not going to get much help if you don't provide the information asked.

I run a Dixie Chopper Classic just over 300 hours and don't have any wheel wobble even at WOT on pavement. Now my Exmark Lazer is 18 years old with over 4000 hours and yeah I get slight wheel wobble on it. It will wobble when like Rob said with air pressure difference.

5. Snyder's Lawn Inc

Snyder's Lawn Inc LawnSite Platinum Member

Bent fork or What type of forks you have 1st Gen of the spring forks would do that

Have any pics of the Forks on your mower

I have 9 DC none mine shacks unless they get bent I had 1 set of the 1st gen springer forks and they was scrap

6. Greg78

Greg78 LawnSite Silver Member

Yeah there's way too many of them running around out there with no problems to be a design flaw!!!

7. piston slapper

piston slapper LawnSite Platinum Member

If only 1 front tire is wobbling...its a bearing or air pressure problem..
    ZTRs are setup like racecars...the weight shifts diagonally...
    If the left front is wobbling...and the right front runs true...increase the air pressure in the right rear to plant the left front..
    The reason that a front tire wobbles is that there is not enough weight on it to keep it on the ground..

8. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Pop the dust cap off and slightly add more tension to the nut. DC still uses tapered bearings in the fork pivots, don't they?
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. piston slapper

piston slapper LawnSite Platinum Member

You could prolly chase the problem by overtorqing the fork...but ...
    You would prolly shorten the bearing life of the fork bearings...
    The mower is somewhat heavy...if the weight is evenly distributed...the front tires dont wobble..

10. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Worked on my old Lazer. These bearings wear out over time, and often times aren't adjusted properly from the factory.
    Posted via Mobile Device