Dixie Chopper Yeah or nay?

8rickyj

LawnSite Member
I know Dixie Choppers are popular down south, but here in Illinois not so much. Scag, Wrights, X Mark and a few others rule the turf up here. Last fall I went to the GIE Expo in Louisville and finally was able to see one up close. I tried to take it around to see how it performed, but with all the rain, mud and limit on space I couldnt get a good feel on the mower. Of course I asked the rep how the Dixie Chopper was, (but as you know just like the rest of the other brands I looked at) he said it was the best mower around. We have a dealer that just popped up within 25 miles from me, is it worth the time to consider this brand. How is it compared to the other brands? If you used one, had one, or have one let me know what your thoughts are

orangemower

LawnSite Silver Member
If the dealer is new, what's to say he lasts long enough to take care of any warranty repairs? You're best sticking with a reputable dealer. I personally don't care for the dc brand.
Posted via Mobile Device

weeze

LawnSite Fanatic
I know Dixie Choppers are popular down south, but here in Illinois not so much. Scag, Wrights, X Mark and a few others rule the turf up here. Last fall I went to the GIE Expo in Louisville and finally was able to see one up close. I tried to take it around to see how it performed, but with all the rain, mud and limit on space I couldnt get a good feel on the mower. Of course I asked the rep how the Dixie Chopper was, (but as you know just like the rest of the other brands I looked at) he said it was the best mower around. We have a dealer that just popped up within 25 miles from me, is it worth the time to consider this brand. How is it compared to the other brands? If you used one, had one, or have one let me know what your thoughts are
i don't see anyone using them down here in the south where i live. come to think of it i've never seen one in person. they do sell them at a place about an hour south of me. it's not a dealer though. it's like a title pawn place or something that sells mowers too. kindof weird. most people use scags, john deeres, kubotas, and hustlers where i live.

Ridin' Green

LawnSite Fanatic
Maybe Richard Martin will see this and answer you. He has quite a bit of saddle time on one. There's another fellow here who does too, but I haven't seen him post for quite a while. I've never seen one being used commercially or otherwise here, and I don't know where the closest dealer would be either.

94gt331

LawnSite Bronze Member
A local landscape center just picked up the dixie chopper line of mowers. I rode one around the property and they seemed pretty slick. They are going to get me a demo to run this spring. They seem to look okay. But I think evey commercial mower manufacture company has good mowers now-adays. My area has I think every single commercial brand of mower out there. So it's a tough decision for me on what ztr to buy this year honestly.

Richard Martin

LawnSite Fanatic
I have an older Dixie so I can't really comment on the newer models. There has been considerable changes since mine was built. The company has gone through 2 management teams since then also. I like mine just fine. I had almost zero issues in 1500 hours. I have done quite a few mods to mine to enhance the performance.

z71tiger

LawnSite Senior Member
i have two. i have the silver eagle with 700 or so hours and this year i bought the classic series. Dixie's are semi popular in my area. scag and exmark are the most popular. my dealer sells both, when i bought the classic i was considering buying a scag so i asked the dealer what would he recommend. his answer was, if you have a crew that will be running your equipment then the scags are built like tanks and i would recommend that but, if you will be the operator and you haven't had any problems with your other Dixie i would suggest sticking with that. not sure if this helps any, just my experience so far.

PLS-Tx

LawnSite Silver Member
We used them for several years. Would still be using them if we would have had a better dealer.

They are very good machines.

Don't get me wrong we love the suspension on the Ferris and we are really happy with the new dealer.

We didn't want move away from Dixie Chopper but just could not handle the dealer anymore.

mowerbrad

LawnSite Fanatic
I owned a 2009 Dixie for about 8 months or so (only for about half of the mowing season and then sat over the winter while waiting to be sold). It was a decent mower, would have fit my needs way better had I only been doing larger properties and without the need to bag regularly.

I was quite disappointed with how the unit bagged while coupled with the trac-vac (which I was told was the best thing ever when I bought it new). I'm not quite sure what the problem was, but it always seemed to leave a windrow of clippings along the discharge side. I never tried a different bagging system or just an aftermarket side catcher. I believe the current owner of the my old Dixie uses an accelerator catcher and has had pretty good luck when bagging with that.

I found that some of my customers were a little "put off" by the very aggressive look and tires on the Dixie. It was definately a different look than the more sleek look of most other ztrs.

It definately had some nice features like the fans on top of the pullies on the deck to keep debris off, the springer forks on the front, an electric deck lift and a pretty good warranty.

The deck was pretty good. It handled large amounts of clippings quite efficiently and spread them out over a long distance. The deck had an adjustable front deck skirt, OCDC (which I wasn't completely sold on, but it did minimize the clippings blown out to reduce clean-up time after) and a large discharge. It could mow at some very high speeds with minimal sacrafice to cut quality. I don't think it was as "crisp" of a cut as other decks on the market, but with good, sharp blades on it, it will leave quite a nice cut.

I noticed some small things that I didn't care for, but I am also quite picky about my equipment, so most other people wouldn't take notice of them.

I bought the machine from a brand new dealer who had just opened up about a year prior. Long story short, me and the dealer did not get along well after the initial sale. There were some red flags that I should have noticed but failed to do so. In the end, I did not get the dealer support I had expected.

So between dealer issues and the inability of the unit to bag with the trac vac well, I decided that I needed get something that would work better for me.

I think they are definately worth a look. If you are serious about buying one, DEMO for longer than two or three lawns before making a decision. Make sure you actually see the mower do everything you want before purchasing. Large properties are definately where these machines excel.

weeze

LawnSite Fanatic
i dunno but everytime i see a picture of a dixie i see that foot pedal thing right in the middle of the floor pan where you would put your left foot down. there's also that other rod thing where it seems your other foot would be when sitting normally. i'm guessing they are the parking brake and deck adjuster thing? it just doesn't make any sense to me. maybe it's just the angle of the pics but it looks like they are right where you would want to put your feet down.